Good fuel economy!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Good fuel economy!!!

Just to show its not all doom and gloom.

I have owned my 159 1.9 jtdm for approx 7 weeks and have monitored carefully the diesel i am using. Its a 2008, with 56,000 on the clock, totally standard lusso spec.

My daily commute is a 40 mile round trip on mixed A roads, a fairly decent run without too many hold-ups. I also do a school drop-offs three mornings a week, so there is some 'urban' driving thown in.

I have calculated the fuel brim-to-brim at the pumps, with an eye on what the computer is telling me too. So the first 3 tankfuls are thus;

1) 46.5 mpg (computer 44.7)
2) 43.9 mpg (computer 42.1)
3) 44.4 mpg (computer 42.3)

The first tankful included the mostly motorway journey home (200 miles), which explains the better return.

This is the first time I have ever experienced or even heard of a computer that is under-reading (by a surprisingly consistent amount).

I have just filled up again and added my first (triple) dose of Rhino, so it will be interesting to see how that affects things.

Anyone beat these?

Nice people drive Alfa's
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Mine will do around 50mpg on a run.
I have done a few brim to brim checks and the trip computer is pretty much spot on, it was 1 or 2 mpg over actuall mpg.
This is the best I've got after a trip to Birmingham and back following my girlfriend at about 60mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23072012290.jpg (39.4 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
My 2009 2.4ti under read by 2 mpg untill it was remapped then brim to brim proved it to read 4mpg over. Not sure that it could be re-set to read correctly though ?
On a motorway steady 50 to 80 mph cruise it's done 45mpg best but without accellerating past everybody or using the box too much. Local running around to shops or pub , just a mile or two away it does 35 mpg best . Towing my minno trailer with 600kgs race car on , it does 30 mpg at around 60 mph.
I'm using RHINO too .
AO Silver Member
My current calculations indicate that our 2.0JTDM computer tells us the MPGs are about 1-1.5 lower than they really are in reality. It says the car is doing 38 ish when brim to brim is actually 39 plus. Car has only done 18,000 and is on the Rhino triple dose, so I expect this to improve.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

economy , fuel , good