Qtronic gear lever stuck - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-07-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Qtronic gear lever stuck

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a 2007 Alfa 159 2.4 sportwagon Qtronic. Just drove around 5.000 kms (currently the clock marks 53.000 kms), and a few weeks ago the gear lever got stuck in P.

I tried to press the gear lever button in order the shift to R ou D, but the button wouldn't go down and I wasn't able to take it out of the place it was parked. Well, I tried and tried to push the button later on and fortunately I was able to shift to R and then D.

Today it happened again, but now after a 30 km drive. I was about to park the car when I realised the button wouldn't go in. So I had no way to shift from D to R (and then P). I had to let the car in N and take out the car key using the emergency feature for taking it out.

Does anyone knows what might be the problem with my gearbox and how it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
Mine has on occasion tried to not come out of park like you said, but I have always managed to get it out of park, by rocking the gear leaver back and forth quickly while pressing the button HARD, almost to the point you think your going to break something!

the gear leaver assembly is separate from the gearbox and is essentially just a set of switches. Their is a solenoid that fires to lock the gear leaver in park, and I think it just sticks for time to time which effects its ability to travel through the gear selector.

Its not difficult to take the gear leaver assembly apart and take a proper look. I have not bothered as it only happened once on the forecourt of a petrol station and I had a 20 second panic until I freed it up using the method described above

There are guides on here on how to take it apart so have a search. Its quite easy and you may find it just needs some grease!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

alfa 159

My qtronic gear selector stuck in P today together with the check gearbox message.

Found out from the recovery guy that if this happens you can get going again by accessing the emergency release which is located behind a sliding access panel on the vertical part of the passenger side 'transmission tunnel' just below the lever.

Slide it open and pull on the plastic tab just inside whilst jiggling the lever.
The lever will move out of park allowing you to start the car in neutral and select R and D but will lock up again once put in P.

I guess the answer after that is to start/stop in N and release the key using the manual overide until it can be looked at.

Car is now with the good guys at Auto Lusso for investigation: loving the GT loan car!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

gear , lever , qtronic , stuck