Long Distance 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By rossi124ac
  • 1 Post By Mjet
  • 1 Post By W1NST
  • 1 Post By Fitz750
  • 1 Post By topman1993
(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 30-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Long Distance 159

I was wondering what long journeys other forum members had undertaken in their 159's.

This June, my Wife, 2 children and I travelled from Chester to Frejus in the South of France. Including trips around the area (including one to Italy) the total distance travelled was 2,700 Miles.

The car (a Red JTDM Lusso '09' Plate) performed faultlessly. We also noticed a few other UK plated 159's in the Frejus area.

What long distances have other 159's undertaken. Should be an interesting topic.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: South Australia
Last December I took my family on a road trip in my 159 from Adelaide to Brisbane and back via Sydney. All up about 5,500km's. Car did not miss a beat!
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member
County: Norrbotten
Been driving two 1400km trips with my old, not that well mpg on the JTS.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
I have done several round trips to the Cherante region of France in my 159, around 1200 miles a go with no problem. You will read elsewhere on this forum, we have just completed a 2730 miles round trip to Italy and back in our 2.2 JTS Spider, no problems.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

Took the Ti to St Gouéno in France and back putting about 3000Km on the clock, did a mini service before I went oil +filter and she just took it all in her stride. Including a run up the hill

On the way back to Cherbourg we stopped overnight at Mont St Michel on the coast, well worth a visit, stunning views...

Now if they would just drive on the same side as us we'd be sorted...
Ian Durrant likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2001
County: Berlin
Thumbs Up several trips ....

... from Berlin to:
  • island Hvar in Croatia (bout 1400 km one direction)
  • north half of Italy, mostly following Mille Miglia route (few good thousends), via Switzerland
  • Cote de Azzure till St Tropez, via Switzerland

Always towing either small trailer with my Vespa or big caravan also with Vespa on it.

enjoyed every bit of the trips except when feeding the 3.2JTS beast with petrol
AO Member
County: Queensland

Member car:

I will be doing Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane in less then a month. approximately 2000km
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Whilst not a single extra long trip, regularly do 3hr stints in the Alfa, the Ti seats are awesome!

Edit: Forgot I drove from Leamington to Leuven in Belgium last year! (350miles, 560km).

Last edited by giblets46; 16-01-14 at 09:39.
AO Silver Member
I drove from Sussex to Holland on half a tank of diesel last November. The car didn't miss a beat and was a pleasure to drive. Certainly gave it a good 'de-coke'!

Drove back again two days later after a very rock 'n' roll weekend at a custom bike show and a very nice hotel!
AO Member
County: Tyumen
Last year i made 2500 km from Moscow to Tyumen in february on the horrible Middle-Russian roads. Mostly - no problems at all. Other - is the road condition issues. The main thing in the long journey is TO FIND THE RIGHT SEAT POSITION FOR YOU!!! It may be not a big issue in the short trips like 30 minutes road, but in the long time uncomfortable seat in alfa will kill your back!!!
Anyway i don't think here are any stupid person who still haven't found the right position for himself.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 62
County: Greater Manchester
done the south of france a few times, but the longest was croatia last summer. round trip was something like 2400 miles. longest i've ever done in a day was 730 miles from near dijon in france all the way home, plus ferry crossing
I picked up my 159 from the dealer in June last year and went straight from there up north to Finland. The plan was to drive from Zurich to Copenhagen in one day but after 500 km the plastic water coolant thing on the car popped and left me at a German gas station in the middle of nowhere. Had to spend the night there and got it fixed at a local garage the next morning - could then continue the trip without any damage to engine. I learnt about the plastic thing the hard way - next time I'll do my homework.

I then drove Fulda - Stockholm (1375 km) in one day, and took the ferry over to southern Finland. On the way back I did the same route and drove Copenhagen - Zurich (1330 km) in one day - no problems, and the seat was comfortable. I did experience some minor neck pain though..

On fuel consumption: despite having the 2.4 engine (my first large engine), I actually drove from Lübeck to Stockholm without refilling - through half of Denmark (ferry Puttgarden - Rodbyhavn) and half of Sweden. Around 920 kms. I love my diesel
AO Silver Member
you guys are turning me on to the idea of a long trip to somewhere in europe! but the ti seats don't feel great for a log drive... the 156 felt more huggy and suited to my shape!
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

159 TBi TI SW

Originally Posted by mo 156 View Post
you guys are turning me on to the idea of a long trip to somewhere in europe! but the ti seats don't feel great for a log drive... the 156 felt more huggy and suited to my shape!
I am 6'2 and TI seats are fine for me. Just came back from Europe, 950 miles/14 hours trip.
Just as comfortable as 166's seats IMO
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
6'4 ex rugby player and the ti seats are comfortable enough for me - regularly in the car for 4-5 hrs a day.
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member
County: Merseyside
Drove 159 from Liverpool to Plymouth, ferry to Santander drove to Parador over the town of Segovia, down to Guardamar del Segura where my mum lives spent a week there, then over to Cordoba for two nights back to Madrid for two nights then back to the ferry at Santander. Total of nearly 2700 miles with running around on trips as well as the 500 miles to the ferry both ways while still in England. Alfa was much admired and ran perfectly, have repeated the trip loads of times but went straight to my mums just outside Alicante which is still a total of 550 miles one way in three different 159's that I've owned without a single breakdown. Love to tell that one to all the smug beamer owners in the pub!
County: United Kingdom
Thumbs Up

I was the person that originally kicked off this topic driving with the family form Chester to Frejus in the South of France. Since then we have driven to South West France, Spain and Central Italy (albeit not in the 159 that went to the wife for a period and was then replaced by a Mito). I still remember that trip to France with much fondness including the waving to other UK plated 159's in the South of France.

What I was pleased to see in Italy this year is that although 159's have been out of production fro 3 years there seem to be more there then ever (we go to Italy quite often). And this got me thinking, are the Italian's importing used 159's from other countries (i.e Germany).

Any thoughts.
AO Member

Member car:

I am the guest poster above with the trip from Zurich to Finland and I have done that trip two summers in a row now.

Also drove to Vienna from Zurich in a day, that's almost 9 hours of driving.

The 159 is a fantastic long-distance traveler.

Kudos to my parents though, they drove earlier this year from Helsinki to Malaga in a 15 year old 156 2.0 without a single problem.

Last edited by finalfisti; 02-10-15 at 07:22.
Went with my 159 sw from Belgium to France (not far). On the way back the Engine light came on -> car didn't have any power. Had to have it towed back to Belgium.

Dealer told me the soot filter had caused this.
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM 159Ti SW

Not as glamorous as a drive to Italy, but I regularly drive from Reading to Manchester and back in a day. It's a 400 mile round trip, and I manage a full day in the office up there too.

I enjoy the journey back the most, but then I've never been a morning person!
AO Member
County: Bergamo
Originally Posted by goram View Post
Not as glamorous as a drive to Italy, but I regularly drive from Reading to Manchester and back in a day. It's a 400 mile round trip, and I manage a full day in the office up there too.

I enjoy the journey back the most, but then I've never been a morning person!
I do Italy - uk - Italy at least once a year in the spider. Best 14 hours, worst 17 hours each way. I stop for fuel ( 4 Fill ups for the spider, sandwiches for me! ) but other than that it's a great journey. It's what it was built for.
goram likes this.
AO Member
County: Swansea

Member car:

159 Ti 1.9 JTDM

Did a 17 day tour in my 159 Ti with 4 adults in the car.
Bags and what have you for clothes for the 17 days for each person. A tent, sleeping bag, airbed and blankets, bag of snacks and a still had room for a small bag, all fitted into the boot of my saloon!
Travelled from Swansea to Folkestone, Eurotunnel to calais then up north to Amsterdam.
From Amsterdam went to Nurburg to do a Lap of the nurburgring, unfortunately had to do this with a fully loaded car
From Nurburg to Munich, Munich to innsbruck, Innsbruck to venice, Venice to Ravenna, Ravenna to Sanremo, Popped over to monte carlo then headed up to Paris from there with a overnight stay in Lyon, then from paris back to Swansea!!

Car was faultless! (minus the burnt bulb and one side of the Halo eyes stopped working. But this may have been from the heat of the sun and engine combined, Would have easily reached over 100'c under there in the sun!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11905769_10206149755177130_4922852069583671318_n.jpg (46.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 11934995_10206170854544601_7020933919703021255_n.jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 11903842_10206170890825508_2151723152175400787_n.jpg (51.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 11900017_10206170895745631_125123888352658893_n.jpg (60.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 11889529_10206176996498146_3876326164555703314_n.jpg (52.1 KB, 6 views)
eriksmate likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , distance , long