spider - stop the hood whilst in motion safe or not - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
spider - stop the hood whilst in motion safe or not

The wifes Spider 2.2 JTS has some mold around the inside of the area where the hood sits when in down position. It is not possible to access it during the hood in motion mode, as I really want to keep both hands working!! Is it safe to stop the hood in motion half way through so I can access this mold and give it a clean.

What is the likelyhood of it getting stuck....I will get brownie points for clearing the unsightly mould, but if the hood gets stuck...ouch

Any advice please
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Stopping the hood whilst in motion is the only way to can get to the rear window for cleaning, perfectly OK to do. I would say though that to keep the hood in a partial open position for any length of time should be avoided. I did this once and the system seemed to be a little confused and several attempts were needed to complete the operation.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
One thing I've learned after nearly 3 years of Spider ownership is not to be afraid of the roof.
I'll admit I have been scared of it for a big chunk of that time, with all the hassle it's given me.

When the weather forecast says no rain for a few days, have a good look at your roof and make sure you know all about the lock-out struts within the roof, the manual locking procedure via the boot, the emergency release cable in the storage box behind the passenger seat, and the emergency closing procedure (just in case).
I now have confidence in mine and know I can open and close it properly even if it does start playing up.

The roof can be stopped and re-started at any point within the cycle without any problem, though I've never left it half-up and then turned off the ignition. I guess this could well confuse it as alfared159 has mentioned.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
I put 40 bottles of wine in my roof "boot" whilst driving back from bordeaux, its perfectly fine to stop it part way though the cycle

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

hood , motion , safe , spider , stop , whilst