159 wheel refurb - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 29-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
159 wheel refurb

The wheels were not great when I bought it a year ago, but as it is such a great looking car I want to get all four refurbed!!

Can anyone recomend somewhere in West London, Surrey or Hampshire around Farnborough that will do a great job at a reasonable price.

I have looked at some places in Slough but they are focused on Fazzers, Porsches and supped up motors, they want around 75 Per wheel.

What should I be aware of when doing this process...

Any advice gratefully rcvd....
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
I've looked at a few, the price is size dependent, and seems it jumps a bit when looking at 19's
AO Member
County: Berkshire
The cheap refurbs from the mobile guys you see advertised generally just use a bit of filler and some paint. You could probably get it for less than 50 quid if you shop around but I've seen some really poor jobs from these guys. I got two of my 19" Ti wheels powder coated from a place called myalloys in basingstoke. Think it cost about 90 quid a wheel, but it was a fantastic job. I bought some new centre caps at the same time and both wheels look brand new.
So, all you really need to check is how they will refurb the wheels. Plus, a lot of them don't include the VAT in quotes.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 29-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
yes quite a variation, but I think around 40 seems to be the norm, unless you want to go to real fancy places.
Just want to make sure it is a one off and won't have to do it again in my lifetime with the car, so I need to look into the processes and if the more expensive ones offer a better process or just charge more as they have a porsche and a ferrari on the home page...research time..
AO Silver Member
County: -
Don't use a mobile service. Get your wheels done properly with a factory powdercoat finish. I had mine refurbed at Wheelworks in Crawley, Sussex (very close to Gatwick airport). See Wheels Works UK | Alloy Wheel Refinishing. Full factory refurbishment, powder coat, wetspray and custom finishes.

My wheels were in a terrible state (not caused by me!) and really let an otherwise mint car down. They now look brand new and completely flawless. There is a price/quote guide on their website and you can leave your car with them for the day while they do it. That's what I did. Amazing service. Four 17-inch wheels refurbed including tyre removal and re-balance etc for just 280 inc VAT. Bargain.

Rockin' all over the road!
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
Agreed with the comments above. There are two approaches to refurbing a wheel. One is to peel back or mask the tyre and fill and spray it with a wet paint process, the other is to remove the tyre, dip it in acid, strip it to bare metal, fill it /fix it and then powder coat it.

The latter makes them as good as new, the former is a touch up job that will not last. This is a picture of my stock 19" TI wheels after a months of ownership with a "touch up for sale" approach to the refrub:

Prices are size dependent and don't forget you will likely need new valves and weights when they refit the tyres as they are essentially fitting and balancing the rubber like it was new.

I had mine done last year at a national chain Alloy wheel refurbishment and repair - Quality refurbished wheels and the cost for 4 19" rims, with a "high power silver over black" effect and 4 new valves, fitted and balanced all same day (10 hours) was 450.

A single colour powder coat might take a tenner off the cost of each wheel, but if your gonna spend 400, why not spend 450 for something special?

This is the result:

Alfa 159 TI Tweaked (7 of 10).jpg

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 29-07-13 at 13:38.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Jag XE on order

Had mine done by the Alfa body shop (AMC Chelmsford) who were doing paint three get one free, worked out about 180 all in. As said above they only wet paint with the tyre still on but to be honest expensive powder coating wont protect my wheels from the wife and curbs so seemed pointless to spend a fortune on them. I'm pretty sure they are wet painted as standard anyway. I have got in the habit of cleaning them at least once a week with a non acidic cleaner to try and help keep them tidy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , refurb , wheel