Cambelt advice? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Cambelt advice?

After having my inlet manifold replaced about 3 weeks ago I noticed a low volume rythmic droning coming from the cambelt area towards the top. I did not have it replaced as recommended at the time because it was only 4000k old & did not want the added expense to an already hugely expensive job.

Anyway, I dismissed the noise as me being paranoid but last week I hand an injector fault diagnosed by a different garage. They mentioned the cambelt seemed a little tight without me mentioning the noise to him. The mechnic advised I take it back to the garage that replaced the manifold. I took it for a second opinion who said it sounded a little tight but was of no concern.

So my questions are, what makes a belt loose / tight? Would this part of been removed during the inlet replacement?

What issues would a tight belt cause? Am I asking for trouble by leaving it and monitoring if the noise worsens?

And any advice on the matter would be appreciated...

I'm concerned I'll take it back to the garage that replaced the manifold and they will dismiss the issue. With something along the lines of "we asked if you wanted it replaced, it's not something we 've done in refitting."

After 1100 on a manifold, injector & EGR I can't afford to keep forking out money on it. Especially as it's something I paid for not so long ago.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
On the 1.9 but I'm not sure about the 2.4 it is possible to remove the manifold and leave the belt in place by bolting the pump pulley to the back plate, if they have done it this way then it shouldnt of affected the belt tension.
But if they have removed the belt and refitted it the process is, and this is based on using a new belt to push the tensioner to maximum, turn the engine over a few times and then slacken it off and line it up with the dot which is the running position, if the belt is too tight then maybe they have just left it set at the maximum tension.
I'm sure you know this now but it would of been well worth spending the extra 40 and fitting a brand new belt
AO Member
County: Essex
if it is too tight, get it slackened off asap otherwise you will end up having to put a new belt on anyway
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 26-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
A new belt I wasn't bothered with, it was adding tensioners, pullies and water pump which are practically new. Is the tensioner difficult to get to or will the garage need to strip a lot away to access it?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

advice , cambelt