Faulty Clutch Switch stopping the car from starting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Crazed Faulty Clutch Switch stopping the car from starting

Hi There
I wonder if anyone else had suffered from this problem. This morning I got stuck in stationary traffic and a warning light came on advising that the car's security system was not working with a picture of a steering wheel and a key underneath showing on the bottom left of the dash display. I have 2.4 JTDM Brera and, anyway, decided to turn the engine off whilst I waited.
When the traffic began to move again I attempted to start the car with the usual clutch down and press start..........nothing.........totally dead, even all of the dash ignition lights went out.
Checked the battery terminals and they were fine and locked it, then opened it again to see if that would re-set the car but no luck.
Called the AA and when they tested the battery, all fine. Then once he sat in and tried to start it he saw the notice you get when ignition on 'press clutch or brake to start' and pressed the clutch.....nothing again, then pressed the brake on his 2nd attempt and it started!!!
He said it will be the clutch switch and this was the fault.
Anyone else suffered this?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Durham
I suffered a similar problem, garage said it was down to lower battery power?

Don't forget that you can start the car if you press the brake pedal instead.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Yeah I am having similar issue as well except in my case the car wouldn't start unless the clutch was pressed. I had the battery looked at @ halford and it wasn't great so I got a new battery. With the new battery the error disappeared after and I could start the car with the clutch depressed. ( the vehicle protection error has appeared/disappeared though twice since the battery change but no hill holder/vdc errors). My first port of call would be the clutch switch though since it is a cheaper to fix, I just used the opportunity to get a new battery
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Also check to see that the clutch pedal is coming back up fully when released. They can get a bit sticky and stop the pedal switch operating.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
to start the car you can press the clutch or brake pedal.

note that if you press the clutch you can press and release the start button and it will crank until the car starts; however if you use the brake pedal you have to press and hold the start button until the car has started.
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
....If anyone has had the clutch pedal switch replaced, could they post the art number on here please. I need one for my 159 but the main dealer say they are for left hand drive cars only???

As Coxy has said in a previous post 'carnt see them making them left/right hand drive specific' but just want to be sure.

AO Member
County: Uppsala
Hi Rob. Theyre not for left hand drive only, I have a right hand drive and that clutch switch also exists (I would stop using that dealer if I was you!). The part you need is Alfa Romeo 159 Switch or Alfa Romeo 159 1 9 2 2 2 4 Clutch Pedal Switch 2005 On

You can take it apart yourself but you have to take the knee airbag off and fiddle around in there for quite a while, there are instructions in http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ok-solved.html how to do this.

Guessing you fixed this by now but replacing the switch here should do the job.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

car , clutch , faulty , starting , stopping , switch