Steering lock fault code help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 10-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyrone
Steering lock fault code help

Hi Guys,

I borrowed a diagnosis computer to help with a couple of on board messages. The first was abs, hill holder etc not working. This turned out to be a broken wire before the plug that connects to the rear wheel sensor. A temporary fix with a 5 amp connector and a bit of insulation tape until I can get appropriate bullet type connectors did the job there.

The other fault is 'vehicle protection system not available' when I pull the key out of the car. Yesterday evening the fault shown with the diagnosis reader was a faulty actuator, today the fault showing is a faulty steering position sensor. Is this all combined in the steering lock unit under the dash? I thought I'd get a look at the unit and when I pulled away the trim just above the brake and throttle pedals, a white connector fell down. I'm not sure if this is supposed to connect to anything as I couldn't see any sockets close by for it to plug into to. Does anyone know where this goes? Also for those of you that have replaced the steering lock unit, how much does it cost? Does it require any special tools? Do you know if it needs to be coded to the car? I'm reasonably sure it will need coded as the reader I have asks for a password to carry out any tasks to do with the steering other than to reset the fault codes.

If any of you can help with any of these queries it would be very much appreciated. I don't need to fix this as the car still starts and drives fine but I hate messages popping up that shouldn't be there!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

code , fault , lock , steering