spider with roof issues. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

spider 2.2 jts

spider with roof issues.

Hi, I bought my first Alfa spider at the end of February this year, whilst looking around I followed all the steps and checked the roof system numerous times. I ended up going for a 57 plate 2.2jts spider, and was rather happy with my choice, until half an hour after delivery when showing off the car when I was putting the roof down for the first time of ownership, the roof caught and pulled off the plastic trim on the roll bar, days later it did the same on the passenger side.

After a week I took the car back to Bristol street motors, and they booked it in to Alexanders Alfa to get sorted. they apparently replaced a hydraulic valve and replaced the roll bar trim. upon collection of the car I tested the roof and it was still catching on the roll bars, I expressed my concern and went on my way. The car has displayed numerous temporary hood failures and was back at Alexanders last week, yet they say the car isnt displaying faults and working how it should, but I'm still concerned every time the roof scrubs over the roll bars.

Yesterday I noticed what looks like lubrication oil of some kind on the drivers side mechanism behind the roof material, I checked the passenger side which was bone dry.

Has anybody else had this issue of the roof scrubbing the roll bar and/or seen the symptoms of the oil of the mechanism.

I apologize for the essay and hope you guys can help. Thanks, Matt

The red arrows highlight where the oil is, I apologize the red is difficult to see.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof mech leak.jpg (30.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg roof mech leak 1.jpg (31.0 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
That oil looks like a lime green colour......if it is, its Tutela G1/R, which indicates a hydraulic leak in the hood.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
I've had the issue of the roll-bar trim being removed by the moving roof.

Mine was just on the driver's side and I got it sorted under warranty, with the dealer ordering another plastic trim from Italy .
The original, only slightly marked and perfectly serviceable, is sat in my garage as a spare.
I also had other problems with the roof at the time which bizarrely weren't covered by the Alfa main-dealer warranty
Apparently Alfa only covered the roof mechanism under warranty for the first 6 months of its life, so if you'd bought the car brand new you were on your own after just 6 months when the roof starts playing up.
And play-up it most certainly will
Welcome to the wonderful world of Alfa Romeo
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 29-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

spider 2.2 jts

I suspected a leak, has anyone dismantled the hood lining and left details/instructions on here before?

I was given 3 months free warranty from Bristol street motors, which ends at the end of this month. as it stands out of the three months the cars been in for a full month, fortunately as no further faults could be diagnosed Bristol street motors have given me another 6 months warranty on the roof. I think Im going to take it to a different dealership to see if they've had experience with the spider's roof.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

issues , roof , spider