HOW TO: Fix a rattly boot release (interior) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset
HOW TO: Fix a rattly boot release (interior)

My 159 pre-dates the exterior boot release so the interior button gets a fair amount of use. Over time, the button has become loose and rattly so I removed the roof console to see what the issue was.

The problem is that all the roof buttons pivot around two small plastic tabs that attach the button to the frame, much like the tags that attach an airfix kit to the shipping frame. These are a bit fragile at the best of times but the boot release suffers more due to more frequent use and the fact that there is nothing except the switch to stop you from accidentally pushing the button too deep and putting more strain on the plastic tabs.

When I removed the console, I could see that the plastic tabs on the boot release button had both snapped, causing the button to rattle and giving a loose feel when pressing the button.

The solution was to use a paperclip to locate and reinforce the button. My inspiration was the metal bar as fitted to most keyboard space bars.

To remove:

1) Remove the roof console. There are 2 metal tabs on each side of the roof console. Pick a side and then ease the unit down until you can peek at the metal tab. What you see is the inside of the tab, you need to hook a screwdriver around the side and towards the doors to locate the attaching part of the bracket. Some people have used brute force to remove it but this can bend the metal clips.

2) Ease the plastic tabs to remove the black ultrasonic detector from the rest of the white/grey console unit. I didn't unplug it as I'd left the battery connected and didn't want the alarm system to go nuts. It will hang nicely out of the way once disconnected.

3) Remove the bulbs for the map reading lights. They unscrew a 1/4 turn to remove.

4) Ease the 4 white plastic tabs to remove the top section of circuit board. The two circuit boards are linked by a non-removable ribbon cable so be careful!

5) One the top board is free, ease the two black inner clips to remove the lower board. The buttons and facia should then come free.

6) Using some needle nose pliers, assembly your retaining clip. Mine looked like the attached picture. I used a blue paperclip - I wanted a red one to match the interior but you don't see it and I decided that was too bottom retentive even for me!

7) Reassemble in reverse order.

Result: No more rattle and the button feels as it should do!

PS: The quick fix may not last as the two adjoining tabs may snap as well. If so, the number (? part number) on the button bar is 1804.5.009 which may help to get a replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0184[1].jpg (122.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by IPAddis; 12-05-13 at 12:06.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4

These are great write ups, thanks heaps! I'll be attempting this one in the coming days too.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

wow, great I am going to fix my button )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

boot , fix , interior , rattly , release