Recent Graduate to 159 needs some advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 JTDm

Recent Graduate to 159 needs some advice

I've just stepped out of my 156 TS and into a 159 JTDm SW. As expected I've got issues already and I'm hoping you stellar forum folks can give me some pointers.

Serious knocking noises over bumps, hard to place where from in the cabin but I'm pretty sure it's the front upper wishbones as there is lots of play in the coupling.
- I've had a quote for £280 to replace both, does this sound ok, is it a tricky job?

On the motorway at 70, besides the knocking there is a loud droning, again difficult to place.
- Pretty sure it's not wheel bearings as I've had that before I'm thinking maybe the tracking? but really no idea on this one.

The heater also seems to kick out hot air whether it's on 16 or 25, when the AC is on it produces cold but when it's off it's back to hot.
- Is there a control unit that might be the culprit? I had similar issue with the 156 that needed a new dohicky.

The well known Glow plug dash warning
- Fortunately there is lots on this on the forum to investigate. I asked the garage for a quote for all new ones just out of interest, £180 done, a bit steep?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Yes, the wishbones and the bushes do tend to go (and most threads say it is hard to pin point, so sounds right), AUtolusso do a powerflex option for the front bushes on this, £500, but if you intend to keep the car a while, could be a sound investment.

Tracking tends to be off (actually it's on, but causing big inner edge wear on the wheels). If your bushes are gone it could well be tracking, most on here would recomend a full four wheel tracking when you get the car. But to test the wheels, do the usual jack up and rotate/ rock to determine bushes/ bearings.

GLow plugs should be a DIY job, find out the broken one and fit a replacement, garage will easily double price.

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

alfa 159

Glow plugs is a pretty easy DIY job, cost about £60 to replace all, plus any additional tools you might want. Thats using Champion plugs, may cost more if you want something bosch like?
AO Member
County: Fife
Glow plug change didnt really do much. It comes on intermitantly at start up but switching the ignition off then back on sorts it!
Your AC sounds like my tri climate control...sends out 40 degs of air until 'it' decides the cabin is warm enough! I hate winters in mine for this reason!
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
If you're saying you usually leave the air con off, don't. Stick it in full auto and it's remarkably good.
Surprising really as the other auto things such as wipers and headlights are crap!

The drone could be transmitted noise if the bushes are that badly shot.
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

Top wishbones are dead easy to do, you need a special spline type spanner though (somebody help me out with the name). Advise getting original quality for relative peace of mind.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Sportswagon.

Torx spanner works on the wishbones, but they are really something bespoke for Alfas...the name escapes me. Simple to do yourself. There's a how to on this forum somewhere with pics.

Glowplugs are easy as long as they don't snap, just go easy with them, plenty of wd40 and do them when the engine is hot. Don't buy Denso as alot of members (including me) have had problems with them, I would recommend Beru, GSF are the cheapest I found over the counter. You need a 9mm deep socket.

Does the AC just need re-gassing?

I also get an annoying drone in the car, which gets worse the fast I go, strangely it goes when the wife gets out

Droning could just be tyre noise of course - 159s are generally not the most peaceful cars on motorway journeys. What tyres are on the car?
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 04-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 JTDm

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
Top wishbones replaced which has cleared up the knocking and the droning (must have been cumulative noise from the play at the coupling)

Plugs next...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , advice , drone , graduate , heater , knocking , recent