159 Sportwagon roof rails - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
159 Sportwagon roof rails

Has anyone worked out how to get the factory roof rails off the Sportwagon? I might need to get mine powder coated because what I assume is silver paint seems to be deteriorating, or am I wrong and they are aluminium and can be polished? They have plastic covers on the inside ends. Do these come off to reveal mounting bolts?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
Pretty sure they would anodised or lacquered aluminium. Can't see AR using steel, although cheaper, it's a lot heavier... The way H&S is these days they could be deemed too heavy for one person to install / remove.

Oh, I haven't a clue how to remove them... Sorry...
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory

I am going through exactly the same issue with mine and am also getting them powdercoated in a similar silver (Stromboli grey is the car colour) I asked the same question about removal a month or so back on this forum, should be easy to track down the thread however essentially there are three plastic covers to remove. I tried a heavy plastic trim removing tool that worked well - just protect your paint on the body with a thick rag or something first. Underneath the covers seem to be standard allen key type bolts to remove.

Good luck and let me know how you go and I will do the same.

Did you guys figure out how to get the rails off?
Just got my Sportwagon and want to get the cosmetic stuff sorted while it's still new (to me) - if I get used it looking shabby it'll never get done :-(
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory
Hi Nev147,

Sorry for the late reply, have been off the forum for a few days! I am more than happy to give you some pointers and should even have some pics of how mine was before and after including disassembled. Can you PM me your contact details?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , rails , roof , sportwagon