159, Brera & 946 spotted Thread - Page 41 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 91Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
'939' was the 159, '946' the Brera, and '948' the Spider.
The spider shares the same chassis as the Brera, known as the "premium platform" or type 939,
and is also used on the 159 although with a longer wheel base.

So enjoy your "Alfa Romeo Brera Spider 939",
you may not like it, but that is the official Alfa Romeo name for it.

You want to know the top price paid in 2015 for a Spider in the US of A. #37
Alfa Romeo. Most expensive cars in the world. Highest price.

My first Alfa was bought in 1975, a type 105.44, insurance group was 22 plus 2 asterisk

Brera S 2.2 JTS, 1.8 156 Sportwagon, Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa Coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. View Post

So enjoy your "Alfa Romeo Brera Spider 939",
you may not like it, but that is the official Alfa Romeo name for it.
As I said at the beginning, there's no such thing as a Brera Spider.
It certainly is not the official Alfa Romeo name for it, it's the name a few give it to distinguish it from other versions
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 ti 2.0JTDm

...anyway.... white 159 SW near Maidenhead and another one in Hook (avoided most of A33 near Basingstoke last night as it was a mess)... and a black GTV or 916 spider behind me on the M3 that came of at Basingstoke.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Red brera heading towards Reading on the A33 this evening. Did wave as we were going in opposite directions on the dual carriageway!

Did wave as I passed a GT on the A417/9 earlier ☺. My colleague in the car asked if I knew them! 😂
Troll likes this.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

In terms of spotting 159s and Alfas in general, don't think I've had a day where I've seen soo many and also had soo many park in the same work car park as me.

This morning spotted a goregous 159 Ti in Red, plate RV58 LUF, after I'd dropped off the van and drove over on my break hoping to park beside it to get a pick, but it had gone

However... as I was circling the car park, spotted a 156 and then a black 159, even parked in a disabled bay just to get close enough so I could step back and see all three together, couldn't take a pic because there was someone in the passengers side and didnt want make her feel a bit uncomfortable if she spotted me angling the car up

And then as it goes, when leaving the car park a purple-blue (not sure paint scheme) 159 popped in, albeit a bit bruised with some seriously curbing on the wheels, an oldish lady behind the wheel.

Even spotted a Red 'SPIDER' 948 on the to the car park, gave a flash, but no return acknowledgment.

Some pics to boot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (43.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (113.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 10 views)
lussoman likes this.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento with Full Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Engine Mods: DPF/EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge & Decals
Future Mods/ Fixes: Powerflex Bushes, Ti Skirts

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 24-04-16 at 18:29.
AO Member

County: -norfolk
(( gave a flash, but no return acknowledgment.))

sounds like you live in norfolk matey , i see quite a few around and about . 156, 159 ,mito,s giuliettas etc never ever get a wave back .
WHY !!!!!!!
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Maybe because they havent been initiated yet

I have a little guage to tell an enthusiast or someone who takes a special interest in Alfas, apart from the standard 'I use my car to get from a-b, its a tool' type of driver.

Test 1) If it looks like its been cleaned within the last week, 90% of the time, they drive an Alfa for a reason.
Test 2) If the badges look faded, 90% they're not enthusiasts.
Test 3) If the alloys are curbed all round, on each wheel, 90% they're not enthusiasts.
Test 4) If the alloys are 17" 50% they're enthusiasts 18", 90% they're enthusiasts, if they are 19" 99% they're enthusiasts.

I'd say these are pretty much bang on in 99.9% of cases.

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 26-04-16 at 01:57.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Don't agree with Test 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post

I have a little guage to tell an enthusiast or someone who takes a special interest in Alfas, apart from the standard 'I use my car to get from a-b, its a tool' type of driver.

Test 1) If it looks like its been cleaned within the last week, 90% of the time, they drive an Alfa for a reason.
Test 3) If the alloys are curbed all round, on each wheel, 90% they're not enthusiasts.
Test 4) If it's another colour other than Silver, Red, White ,Black or Crimson, 90% they're not enthusiasts
Test 5) If the alloys are 17" 50% they're enthusiasts 18", 90% they're enthusiasts, if they are 19" 99% they're enthusiasts.

Literally, one 159 I saw, the badge was white, it had faded soo badly, it had 16" 'curbed' hub caps, black exhaust and the holes where the parking sensors should have been. It made the car look very 'average' even though it was in a nice black colour.

I sometimes assume everyone drives Alfas (except Guiletta and Mitos) because they think they're something special, namely because you can get more reliable motors cheaper and newer than say a 156 and the fact there aren't soo many around not to mention road legal. I've actually seen one really 'chaved' up 147 that, even though it looks too blinged out, was in very good nick, so obviously the driver must have deliberately went out looking for one, as there are plenty of Saxos, Fords, Bmws e.t.c around. But then I've seen lots of 156s that look like battered sheds, probably bought simply because it was the cheapest they could get without knowing its deeper issues. I suppose there are quite alot of older model Alfas still knocking about, Im guessing most of the best offerings have been taken by enthusiasts though. Hence why I use my little test above to judge when to give a flash or wave;p
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I think I know why

But maybe you're the 10%, its just all other colours I've seen that arent listed have been in really bad nick, and not just general wear and tear, but crash damage, dents in doors e.t.c and even rust. Not to say the other coloured cars cant have damage, just my experience has been just that.
matty74 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera Q4

Quote:
I think I know why

But maybe you're the 10%, its just all other colours I've seen that arent listed have been in really bad nick, and not just general wear and tear, but crash damage, dents in doors e.t.c and even rust. Not to say the other coloured cars cant have damage, just my experience has been just that.
Whoa, there.
Waited ages to get my unlisted colour!
But my badges aren't faded, I've 19 inch, and I don't drive a Diesel!!! (80% not enthusiasts?)
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Yeah I removed the colour test, I've seen two spiders in blue with black roofs, so for continuity sake I have changed the regulations I think in regards to colour, it was mainly alfas that where older than the 159 model.

I'd say if you have a petrol 159, Brera or Spider you've got to be 90% enthusiast as they are quite rare models If I understand? You'd have to specifically look for one as there are far more diesels in the market.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
You're not wrong there. I'm beginning to realise I'm going to have to travel the country to find the right car for the right money.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I'd say if you have a petrol 159, Brera or Spider you've got to be 90% enthusiast as they are quite rare models If I understand? You'd have to specifically look for one as there are far more diesels in the market.
That's the only correct thing you've said
I struggle to understand the enthusiasm for a DERV sedan, but that's just me, obviously I'm in the minority on this website...
Miles G likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I felt ashamed driving my car whilst it had a dent in the bumper for a while as insignificant as it was, it just felt wrong, like walking around with holes in your trousers, gives the impression you don't take care of your car. I think the police should fine Alfa drivers for not having freshly clay bared cars on weekends.

Also I don't think its deliberate that you have alot of DERV enthusiasm around atm, probably just due to the fact it was the first model of the production line, became the fleet model and is thus alot easier to pick up. I think if it was the otherway round, with Petrol being the standard model, the bias would be the otherway round perhaps.

I do less than 8,000 miles a year and if I had spotted a petrol for the same price, like Mitch mentions, only diesels for me where listed for my price range (<£4000), you could bet your bottom dollar I would have gone with that instead. As it is the DPF does cause me grief on the short trips and the fuel economy isn't a massive issue for what I use it for it was just that now I know, even searching for the 1750tbi now, it seems it still commands a fairly high premium price compared to the DERVs.

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 26-04-16 at 02:01.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Also I don't think its deliberate that you have alot of DERV enthusiasm, probably just due to the fact it was the first model of the production line, became the fleet model and is thus alot easier to pick up. I think if it was the otherway round, with Petrol being the standard model, the bias would be the otherway round perhaps.

I do less than 8,000 miles a year and if I had spotted a petrol for the same price, like Mitch mentions, only diesels for me where listed for my price range (<£4000), you could bet your bottom dollar I would have gone with that instead. As it is the DPF does cause me grief on the short trips and the fuel economy isn't a massive issue for what I use it for it was just that now I know, even searching for the 1750tbi now, it seems it still commands a fairly high premium price compared to the DERVs.
I think you mean I don't have a lot of DERV enthusiasm!
Nothing to do with which engine came out first, diesels are always going to be more popular in saloon cars - they're more of a workhorse than a fun weekend car, generally cover a bigger mileage than a petrol, and so help people save the pennies.
Coupes and convertibles are generally the opposite - they're usually enthusiasts cars and petrol rules.
I personally couldn't bear the agricultural nature of a diesel with the rattle and clatter, it would completely ruin my enjoyment of what I've always considered a fun and sporty brand.

I've just had a look on Auto Trader and there's plenty of petrol 159s available for peanuts, just not the 1750 - that engine only got introduced towards the end of the 159's life (and Brera/Spider for that matter), so consequently they still command relatively high prices.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Member

County: Lincs-
Garage

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Quote:

Test 4) If the alloys are 17" 50% they're enthusiasts 18", 90% they're enthusiasts, if they are 19" 99% they're enthusiasts.

Literally, one 159 I saw, the badge was white, it had faded soo badly, it had 16" 'curbed' hub caps, black exhaust and the holes where the parking sensors should have been. It made the car look very 'average' even though it was in a nice black colour.

I sometimes assume everyone drives Alfas (except Guiletta and Mitos) because they think they're something special, namely because you can get more reliable motors cheaper and newer than say a 156 and the fact there aren't soo many around not to mention road legal. I've actually seen one really 'chaved' up 147 that, even though it looks too blinged out, was in very good nick, so obviously the driver must have deliberately went out looking for one, as there are plenty of Saxos, Fords, Bmws e.t.c around. But then I've seen lots of 156s that look like battered sheds, probably bought simply because it was the cheapest they could get without knowing its deeper issues. I suppose there are quite alot of older model Alfas still knocking about, Im guessing most of the best offerings have been taken by enthusiasts though. Hence why I use my little test above to judge when to give a flash or wave;p
Have a Brera with 18". Have to slow down on lanes to work as they are so bumpy. Hate to think what it would be like with 19''s. Same reason I'm glad I didn't get the pro drive. Never driven one but believe they have stiffer suspension?
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borisspider View Post
Have a Brera with 18". Have to slow down on lanes to work as they are so bumpy. Hate to think what it would be like with 19''s. Same reason I'm glad I didn't get the pro drive. Never driven one but believe they have stiffer suspension?
19s with Prodrive suspension is OK. Certainly no worse than other cards I've driven with similar wheels/profile tyres. I take speed bumps a little slower than I would otherwise but the suspension is way better that the MG ZS, which I had as a courtesy car for a month in 2004.

19s on standard suspension may be worse.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I have 18's and don't drive in anyway extra carefully due to this? I've had people comment on what a quiet ride it is. I think the car came with 17's as standard aswell. Sometimes I use speed bumps as ramps when I want to show off.

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 26-04-16 at 02:03.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I think you mean I don't have a lot of DERV enthusiasm!
Sorry I mean in regards to everyone else who is a DERV supporter.
lussoman likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Colours, wheel size and how clean the car is!

I don't think I've owned a car with 19" wheels just yet
Black and red but mostly 17" wheels and the daily tractor is usually dirty.

Nope, I think I hate cars and especially Alfa and with a passion
lussoman likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

It's scary how accurate the tests are, it's almost an exact science.

Lucky though, If you're wheels where an inch smaller I think a moderator would have to ban your AO account clearly not 'elite' enough for these boards.

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 26-04-16 at 02:08.
AO Member

County: -
Saw the same grey S (a 2.2) brera today I saw the other week. Looks like it lives local to me! If someone in north telford has it let me know!

Saw a gorgeous 159 sportwagon 2.4jtd Q4. It was like my dream spec 159 (other than a v6 q4) for general use.

It's typical, I see loads of nice Alfas when I'm out in the works van or the land rover, so probably look like an idiot if I were to wave. But saying that, I see loads of old land rovers when in the van/alfa so works both ways lol.

When I'm in the Alfa I tend to not wave at Mitos/Giuliettas and any other (eg, doesn't look like a pride and joy). Was out in the brera the other week and got a nice smile and a wave from a chap in a 4c! Lovely looking car but damn it was dirty lol.
AlfaJoe92 likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

BOYS!

Twins!

Found this little number in Hoddesdon about 25 minutes ago. Couldn't resist a cheeky snap after circling back for another ganda.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160426_230340.jpg (95.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160426_230312.jpg (36.9 KB, 25 views)
Mitch916 likes this.
AO Member

Garage
There's a fella in Didsbury (Manchester) with a GTV, a 159 and a Brera on his drive (all black). I want to shake his hand.

If he's not on here, I'll eat my shoes.

There's also a red Brera in West Didsbury. So that's three of us in M20.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Jess View Post
There's a fella in Didsbury (Manchester) with a GTV, a 159 and a Brera on his drive (all black). I want to shake his hand.

If he's not on here, I'll eat my shoes.

There's also a red Brera in West Didsbury. So that's three of us in M20.
There's a house round the corner from me in Preston which has a driveway full of beauties:
I see 2 different GTs (black & nuvola blue), a red 916 Spider, a 156 and a Fiat Barchetta on a regular basis. I'm sure there's others on there as well at different times.
Flagged it up on here a few times but doesn't seem to be a member
Alfa_Jess likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 946 , brera , spotted , thread