so long dear friend - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

2007 spider 2.2

so long dear friend

Thought I would reflect on nearly 6 years of spider 2.2 JTS ownership, 57K everyday use.

It is the most drop dead gorgeous car on the road and throughout the ownership would still look out of the window lovingly and would always get admiring glances and looks.

57,000 miles and no breakdowns so reliable in that respect but have been forced to move on after one issue to many.

The catalog of woe's.

Doors needed resetting as paint being rubbed away and need sill respray and protective film. Same for boot where it would clunk on the main body unless you shut it with the utmost care.

New seat fittings and two new hood motors.

Fuel consumption never better than 26 falling to 23 on mixed motoring.

The last 12 months have been the killer though.

Heavily corroded front sub frame needed replacement with only partial Alfa contribution.

Hesitation in engine kicked in during last 12 months varying from just being hesitant, to bunny hopping at lights, to spluttering to standstill in the cold. 2 main dealer attempts and no joy after a couple of days. Tried every fuel going and no joy.

Dealership experience generally poor to totally indifferent, exception sub frame claim (thank you Bauer Millets).

Any other make would have got rid sooner but just gets to a point of no more.

The strange thing is I loved the car and a tear when it left.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

I can understand your pain! Have you got something new and speedy to console yourself with?

I'm thinking of selling my Brera. It's not been an entirely trouble free ownership experience (a slight understatement maybe ) but I still don't want to see it go.

Unfortunately, I already have its replacement in the form of a diesel focus. Its akin to splitting up Mila Kunis then having rebound bedroom aerobics with Pat Butcher.
AO Silver Member
what did you replace her with?
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

159 1.9 TI

Sad to hear that I've had mine for a couple of years now and so far and only had a problem with the EGR (replaced under warranty).

How did you find out about the corroded sub-frame? Was it just the welds or all over?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

dear , friend , long