Towing with remapped Brera - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 31-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Brittany
Towing with remapped Brera

Took the Brera and van to Spain for the winter. Towed well apart from the following :- despite being a 6 speed box ( Qtronic) the ratios are actually quite wide. When towing under any sort load the car from time to time gives an almighty shudder and feels as if the engine has missed a beat, and this is surely putting a lot of strain on the drivetrain. The shudder happens always around 1600-1700 rpm in 5th or 6th gear,and the engine is definitely unhappy at these revs. The engine will pull quite well though at even lower revs, even with the van attached. The engine has the Angel Tuning de- DPF and disabled EGR and remap. Any ideas ?, I wondered at what sort of rev range the Swirl flaps open and close and if this coincides with whats happening.
And before anyone says I shouldnt be towing with a car as gorgeous as a Brera, has the weight, the power and torque and broad stance with very short rear overhang to make a good tow vehicle !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
At 1600 rpm I'd probably be in 4th unless on a slight downhill . I tow with my 159 ti Angel remap/etc , a minno trailer plus 600kgs car on the back so around 1000kgs all told . It tows without any problem even in 6th , 5th at lowish rev's provided it's level or just downhill slightly but if acceleration's needed quicker than a gentle pressure on the throttle then it's 4th or even 3rd.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1398
Juddering could be a sign that the map is trying to put too much torque through the box. Do angel differentiate between manual and qtronic maps or is it "one map fits all"?
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Brittany
Hi thanks for the comment. When I say "juddering" its actually just one, quite violent judder followed by the feeling that the engine is not running cleanly. After the first couple of times it did it I even thought it might be the front wheels both losing traction on something like an expansion joint in the road or other deformity on the road.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , remapped , towing