Looking for the right Brera - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
well if it's long journeys you're looking at, think about getting the 2.4 diesel.

One day the decision to part from my bella will come (probably end of 2014), and I already know what I'll change it with, some people might think I'm crazy, but in my mind it makes perfect sense
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0033345-r1-e0021.jpg (113.3 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 33 Old 26-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Lotus Elise

Well, only a test drive will settle the do I/don't I debate. I'm petty keen on the Q4 V6 but again need to try the other variants to really know the difference.

What do I need to be wary of? I know the gearbox is prone to breaking but is anything else (particularly in the higher mileage cars)?

I am very used to things breaking but I don't want it to happen much...
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

I've not heard of many gearbox issues with the 3.2 to be honest.

This thread should be of some help (the 3.2 159 and Brera are pretty much the same beast)

General consensus is that they're pretty reliable after a few niggles (track rod ends, power steering fluid, radiator corrosion) have been sorted.

Tyres can be pretty expensive for premium brands as they're an odd size. (note: search this out as plenty of opinion in this forum).

Most importantly, regular oil changes are key to the 3.2. The handbook suggests every 18k but realistically, nearer 10k or less would be recommend. A couple have been taken apart by Autolusso and show significant deposits and wear due to old oil. I suspect regular changes will also indicate an informed and caring owner.

Also, to really feel the Q4 on a test drive, make sure the ASC (traction control) is turned off. It will understeer if left on (I always have mine off now).
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Going back to the first post, I spent the best part of 2 months looking for a 3.2 Q4 for a friend that had a maximum budget of 9k. A diesel was out of the question as he didn't like the sound and is going to do nowhere near enough miles for it to make sense.

As said by many on here the only real way to see if you like it is to test drive, after testing both the 2.2 and 3.2 Q4 it had to be, without a doubt, the 3.2. As AlexT has eluded to the noise/acceleration is something else and is a 'whoosh/shove in the back' rather than a kick in the teeth. Yes it's not stupidly fast, I doubt anything after your elise will feel so! But it is a GT with more than enough grunt to put a smile on your face.

Ended up picking up a 3.2 in black for a smidgen over 7k last weekend with every receipt since new, there were so many it was practically a folder which can only be a good thing as it must have been looked after

There are many people on here (and i can't comment personally as I've never driven a busso V6) that say the Brera is a slow lump compared to the GT of old and it does make it sound like the Brera will be a sluggish lump but I can say that isn't the case, then again it's all personal opinion I guess so only a test drive will let you know how you feel!

Good luck

Ps I now want one more than anything.
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

Pug 106!!

I love my 3.2 Q4 sv, I've had her for 14 months now and apart from the flywheel going knackered after a couple of weeks (she had done 60,000 miles when i picked her up and the trader I bought her from paid most of the cost for a new clutch and flywheel), my Bella hasn't put a foot wrong since!

I've changed the brakes to Mtec discs with Mintex pads and put HEL braided hoses on her, but that was purely through choice, not neccesity.

My brera is my daily driver, and i've put 13,500/14,000 miles on her, other than a service (service intervals around 18,000miles!) and the odd fluid top up/bulb, I've not had to put any money into her.

I had some paint work sorted this week on the front wheel arches due to stonechip damage, again, this was mainly through choice.

The Q4 system is great, really stable in poor weather, but also great fun when you do decide to be heavy with your right foot.

Sadly, I will be putting her up for sale in the next week or so (you can have first dibs if you like ), as buying my first home is more important than driving a flash car at the moment. But I swear I WILL own another brera Q4 in the future!
AO Member
County: Monmouthshire
Hi Again
fter seeing your budget the S is probably going to be a tough find....although I cant recommend high enough......it did feel far nimbler and lighter compared to its Q4 brother...and I like simpler mech issues...we had hers for a 18 months and it didnt put a foot wrong......and could almost keep up with my GT 3.2..almost
Good Luck mate
AO Member
County: -
Hate to say it, but DIESEL!

I have a Nissan 350z 313Bhp, nice car etc. etc.. But I love the Alfa for all other reasons..

1) The ride comfort is sublime compared to the Nissan
2) With a Remap it feels as quick even though it really isn't
3) General comfort is much higher in the Alfa
4) I can fit people in the back
5) It does eat miles and not as expensive to fix as some other premium brands

Obviously it will be night and day compared to the Lotus, but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't like it .

Best thing to do is go for some test drives.
AO Member
County: Somerset
What can i say, its the 3.2V6 Brera 'S' all the way for me. Ive had 3 (2 x Black and 1 x Grey) and believe you me, would have another one tomorrow....IMO they are still the most beautiful head turning cars out there today. My next one (cough cough) will have to be red. Two words my friend, DO IT !!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider