159 3.2 purchase advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-03-13 Thread Starter
Awaiting Email Conf
County: Kent
159 3.2 purchase advice

Im looking at changing from my 156 v6 q-system veloce which ive had for 4 years and get into a 159 3.2 q-tronic.I have very little knowledge of this model and as there arent that many for sale im looking for any advice..

I drive to work which is about 100 miles a week so fuel consumption isnt to much of an issue and insurance wont be a problem either so its mainly advice on servicing,parts etc..

thanks shaun
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Can't comment on the 3.2 but the Qtronic seems to pretty bullet proof and is an absolute joy to drive with. Very slick and well timed changes. It uses more fuel than a manual too.
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

159 jts q4

I've got a 3.2 manual Q4. The whole drivetrain is fairly bulletproof. I've had mine for 3 yrs without a single fault, and as its a petrol there's no need to check DPF/EGR etc. Unlike the old 156 there's a timing chain instead of a belt, so maintenance is pretty simple too. I've only heard good things about this model (apart from fuel consumption, but you've already noted that).

The usual checks apply as per any 159 - check for uneven tyre wear, windscreen creak etc, and a regular service history with oil changes. Worth getting an expert to take a look too (or plug in and read the error codes yourself).

A fairly common failure on the 3.2 is the oil temperature sensor. If its faulty then your oil temp gauge won't move. A minor fault, but fixing it is a nightmare - apparently an engine out job (I got quoted 10 hrs labour) as the sensor is in the bottom of the sump and hard to get to.

Its a great car though, still puts a huge smile on my face every time i drive it.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Why not a 1750 TBI? you get fuel economy when cruising without the turbo. But 200 bhp and a lighter engine. The engine could prolly be tweaked to produce a bit more bhp like with the 4c. I think small engines with turbos and better economy are the way forward. Fuelling an taxing 3.2 V6 must be horrendous.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , advice , purchase