Strut Brace - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 17-03-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm

Strut Brace

Hi All, Has anyone used a front strutbrace on a 159 2.0 JTDM and if so has it made a difference. Ive seen an aluminum one for sale but don't want to waste money. cheers
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
I have one on my 2.4

Its purely for looks!

The 159 is very stiff by default and the struts have very little movement if any.

but it looks shiny
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

alfa brera jtdm

I've got one fitted to my 2.4 brera, don't think it makes any improvement but does look good
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
To be honest , you need to be on track and having set consistant lap times without one , to notice any improvement in corner entry , exit attitube after fitting one. Then of course you'd need to adjust camber to suit.
A car would have to be very weak in the suspension mounting chassis area , to notice the difference on the road.
AO Member
County: Alessandria
I think your 159 is like my Spider in that it doesn't have a strut type front suspension. It has a wishbone configuration which means that (in theory) the upper shock mount doesn't transmit any transverse loads to the body.

Of course, a McPherson strut type front end uses the upper shock mount as the upper suspension mount and this kind of suspension design benefits greatly from a strut brace because side-to-side loads go through the upper shock mount. But the upper suspension loads on our card are carried by the upper wishbone mounts which are a long way below the upper shock mount.

The upper shock mount on your car should carry only up/down loads so a so-called "strut brace" is going to be pretty much cosmetic, at least in the front. The rear suspension in your car is McPherson type I believe.

I added a front brace hopes of reducing some of the cowl shake in my Spider but I didn't notice any difference. Mine is nice shiny aluminum so it looks nice. It doesn't do any real harm but the cost of a brace is a big part of the cost of a set of stiffer replacement springs and, even with standard dampers, stiff springs produce a genuine improvement in both handling and looks.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm

Hi All
Thanks to all who replied. It seems you all agree which is what I sort of thought but again thanks for coming back. I think I will leave things as they are

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brace , strut