So just as the independent dealer's three-month parts & labour warranty expires, our new baby starts exhibiting a misfire at low revs under load, with the "Have Engine Checked" message appearing, then disappearing after a few days. Typical!
Booked it in at our local mechanic, but by the time the appointment came around a couple of days later the error was gone from the dash, but the stuttering symptoms still mildly apparent. They read the error, confirmed a misfire on cylinder 5, but when they looked for a cause they couldn't find one and were unable to make it misfire again.
They gave it back to us without charging anything, but a few days later the error's back and the symptoms are slightly more pronounced than before.
I've had a read through the forum and it sounds like the most common cause is the "coil pack". Now, this is a long way from any engines I've worked on which still involved a single coil, distributor and HT leads. So I'm inclined to take it back to them and simply ask them to replace it/them.
So, here are my questions;
- Have them replace just one, three, or all six coil packs?
- Replace spark plugs as well (if that's not a given)?
- If so, should I just have them supply & fit what they want?
- Or should I buy in advance and just have them fit?
- If so, which spark / coil packs should I buy (not sure if there are better aftermarket alternatives)?
Sorry if any of those seem like dumb questions.. as I mentioned in my intro, I'm no mechanic - I just love cars. Slightly ironic, I know.
Thanks for reading, and I patiently await any/all comments/advice.