What spec and gearbox - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-02-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

What spec and gearbox

I am thinking about changing my astra for something a bit different. I am looking at Breras, but it needs to be reasonably quick, the astra is 210bhp, so does 0-60 in about 7 seconds.

So, its probably the 3.2 v6 JTS. But whats the qtronic box like?

and do these engines map easily?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Brera 2.4

I wouldn’t worry too much about pace, Blink. I went from a Mazda MPS (2.4l turbo, 0-60 in just under 6 secs, 255 BHP) and now enjoy cruising around at 75mph and the gentle whoosh of torque from the 2.4 Brera when required. In the Mazda, I felt I constantly had to prove how fast it was; in the Brera I don’t think I’ve got anything to prove.
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Brera V6 Q4 QT

Hi there, I have the 3.2 qtronic Brera. Sorry if you know most of this below, but here is my experience of two months ownership.

It is 4-wheel drive (all non S Prodrive Brera's are). The auto has a normal mode (say for cruising), Sport for whizzing about with higher rev changes and a Winter for reducing potential wheel spin in wet/ice conditions.

The auto also has a 'manual' mode by either nudging the gear lever up or down, or like mine, has the steering wheel +/- paddles for changing (it was an option).

The books say the 3.2 qtronic is 0-60 in 6.8 (manual) or 7.0 auto (2 people, shopping etc. ) - it is a heavy car, safe with all the gizmo's airbags etc., so is a very pleasant grand tourer than say the older much lighter 220bhp 3.0 GTV/Spider - who is the fastest is disputed ! I had a 2.0TS 99 Spider before this which appears more chuckable (like a rollerskate around the roundabouts), though I have not had the 3.2 long enough to try it properly yet

With the 3.2 Auto, I like the fact that you cannot stall or have high rev engine cut-out, as the auto will change gear even in the manual mode as you speed up or slow down. It will even 'hold' the car on a steep hill, great for traffic jams too.

The 3.2 sounds fantastic and is very fast (I've also had a 3.2 Merc auto previously) - it is deceptive as everything is well insulated, but it is an investment over the diesel as you will get approximately 15-23mpg (about 300 per 70 litre tank full up) depending on driving style. Road tax is 460.00 too It is a 2+2, but this was for lower insurance premiums I believe, as the rears are useless, though you can get three in for shorter trips.

I believe it looks as good inside as the admiring glances you will get from outside. Such theatre...most park up and look back as they walk away

I've had two brand new 156's (saloon and a Sportwagon 2.4 diesel), a brand new 06 2.2 manual Brera, the 99 2.0TS Zoe 916 Spider and this is my favourite

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

gearbox , spec