159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 21Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Mines running on Eibachs and HiTec shocks and now they've settled in they arent crashy etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Hi Jonny,
I assume you've not had the kit fitted yet, but when you do, please let us know how you get on with it on your poor roads, this thread is a great resource and I'm sure you're findings will be helpful for future punters. I was driving yesterday and was thinking about you (aww i'n't that nice) because i was on some fairly rough roads and the car was good although no beach buggy. I'm not sure what wheels or tyres you're on, but if the roads are that bad could you stomach 17" or 18" wheels?
I'm so impressed with the B4's now that all my suspension/steering components are fresh, they are very comfortable and solid, so much like the FSD's on my GT. Only problem now is I'm hankering after a bit more fight back from the suspension when on large roundabouts (like my Gt has). I took a fast bend the other day and had to veer into the outside lane because the car was falling away. I'm very tempted to see about some Koni FSD's because as much as this is a family bus, there are times I want

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
AO Member

County: Tyrone
Hi Al, I'm getting everything fitted tomorrow. I'll not get the car till Tuesday evening though. I've a lend of my dads Octavia which, for all its dullness, is a good car. It makes light of my local roads and actually means I make much better progress due to not being thrown around the cabin at moderate speed. The long travel suspension really soaks the road up. The 56mpg+ on my daily commute considerably trumps the 159's measly 40mpg as well.

I thought hard about jacking the car up but going to a smaller wheel size is a step too far. I love the look of the ti rims.

I've never treated the 159 as a sports car as it has never compared well in the handling stakes to my old bmw e46. That car was so well balanced and tight I didn't mind the rough roads as much. I bought the 159 primarily for the style and 4 doors as my little girl was born just before I bought it, I needed the practicality but didn't want to compromise on style and kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

County: Essex
I've been reading through this thread since breaking a rear spring on my Ti. Only noticed when it came to replace the tyres. I just want to keep to original spec. Independent garage ordered springs based on chassis no. but once fitted it was immediately obvious that the wrong springs were provided by the motor factor. Second attempt this time via Alfa and using chassis no. again (mention of a Ti model did not seem to make any difference) has provided rear springs with colour code of yellow-yellow-blue-white. Do experienced members of this forum agree these are the correct springs to fit. I've seen mention early in the thread of yellow-yellow-red-white marked springs for the Ti rear.

It is a 58 plate 1.9

Any advice appreciated before they are fitted.

John
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnj3 View Post
Hi Al, I'm getting everything fitted tomorrow. I'll not get the car till Tuesday evening though. I've a lend of my dads Octavia which, for all its dullness, is a good car. It makes light of my local roads and actually means I make much better progress due to not being thrown around the cabin at moderate speed. The long travel suspension really soaks the road up. The 56mpg+ on my daily commute considerably trumps the 159's measly 40mpg as well.

I thought hard about jacking the car up but going to a smaller wheel size is a step too far. I love the look of the ti rims.

I've never treated the 159 as a sports car as it has never compared well in the handling stakes to my old bmw e46. That car was so well balanced and tight I didn't mind the rough roads as much. I bought the 159 primarily for the style and 4 doors as my little girl was born just before I bought it, I needed the practicality but didn't want to compromise on style and kudos.

How is it. And what did you go for in the end? Eibach and b4?
AO Member

Ok a little update of my thoughts so far. I got the car back last night. I ended up taking a chance on nearly new lusso springs advertised on eBay and new b4's all round.

Aesthetically I expected the car to look like it was on stilts but it doesn't, it looks just fine. It is definitely higher than the eibachs but I always thought they were too low anyway. The excessive negative camber gave the illusion the body was much wider than the track.

The car now feels as though the springs and dampers were designed for it. The dampers keep the springs in check and seem to have the perfect amount of bound, rebound and travel to react to everything the road throws at it.

Previously I had the impression the front of the car was too heavy for the springs with a lot of dive and general lack of refinement. Now the body control is spot on with a taut but compliant chassis. There is no crashing through bumps or pitching over humps. I can travel at 60mph along uneven roads in perfect comfort were previously 50mph was uncomfortable.

I compressed the old dampers by hand and was surprised at the amount of resistance to me under compression and how steady they returned to full length. The mechanic even thought they were good and tight. That's not to say they weren't past their best though. The eibach springs also looked in good condition as well.

I can't say for sure if I put the dampers on with the eibachs if the car would feel as good. I felt I had to raise the car up to get the ground clearance and put the camber back to normal due to the tyre wear issues I was having. Some of my previous suspension issues may have been caused by all the weight of the car on the inside edge of the tyres meaning the tyres weren't working with the springs. I know this to be true to a certain extent as each time new tyres were fitted the suspension would feel better for a while.

Most people on this forum have good reports of eibach so I'm not going to start dissing them here. Instead I'd say they just weren't suited to me and my local roads. It is also possible my original dampers were well past their best after nearly 100k miles of harsh road conditions.

That's my initial thoughts so far. I'll keep this updated over the next few months or so as the setup beds in.

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Great stuff Johnny, I'm glad it's all worked out for you. What would be great is a picture, I know you'll probably get someone saying it doesn't look as good, but it sounds like it works well, so a pic would be a good resource. Maybe at some point you could measure top of rim to bottom of wheel arch too.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Good report and glad you are happy with that, though I suspect the dampers were the cause of crashiness.
If you are not using the eibachs, am sure there will be takers out there!

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

I think you are correct about

AO Member

The dampers. (Fing iPhone on tapatalk and dumb thumbs)

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Do you have any pictures of your B4/Lusso Spring combo?
AO Member

I forgot to take some over Christmas hols. I don't like taking pictures of the car when it's dirty as well. I'll get pics up next time I wash it. (Probably Saturday)

AO Member

County: Lodzkie
Garage
Hello,
Do you have any update concerning this suspension set?
I'm really interested, as recently I have bought a 159 Q4 TI. I am surprised that it does not feel much firmer than Brera or 159 without TI. But this turns out to be a problem- as the car is lower, but suspension is not that stiff, it scrapes quite often on rough roads
I suspect that the OEM suspension is worn out, so I have started to look for possible upgrades, but maybe I should just put the standard Lusso springs.
(Post Link) post #214 of 285 Old 07-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
B12 in mine still going strong at 135K miles still tight and still handles lovely.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
OK, a bit of a hijack now, my Brera has broken one of the rear springs, I replaced one last year with an original I got hold of. I wish I had bought a set of springs and done the lot but hindsight is marvellous. What is the concencious of opinion regarding a change. I don't particularly want to harden the ride or lower the car as it tends to get loaded up when it get used. Any suggestions, prices seem to vary, are there any to avoid?
AO Member

Member car:

Sud Ti QV

I have a brand new still boxed set (front and rear) of Koni Sports shocks if anybody is interested.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.armstrong View Post
I have a brand new still boxed set (front and rear) of Koni Sports shocks if anybody is interested.
Do they fit all 159 models?
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
B12 in mine still going strong at 135K miles still tight and still handles lovely.
+ 1 A great set up with adjustable polybushes too !
AO Member

Member car:

Sud Ti QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Do they fit all 159 models?
I believe they do
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Good to hear it Do you have B6 or B8 shocks? After reading this thread I thought it was always B6, but then on some sites it says B8. I wonder if it might be a difference due to Q4...
AO Silver Member

Garage
159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice

B4 is oEM setup, b6 is 15-20% taughter, and b8 has a shortened piston (30-60mm drop),
If you have the pro-kit springs think the b6 will be fine

B12 is simply the kit with springs and b6's
B14/16 are the coil over kits

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
(Post Link) post #222 of 285 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Good to hear it Do you have B6 or B8 shocks? After reading this thread I thought it was always B6, but then on some sites it says B8. I wonder if it might be a difference due to Q4...

B6 vs b8 only relates to the length of the shaft. The shock rate is the same. That's why they use both depending on the kit and the drop. TBH I cant 100% remember if mine are 6 or 8's !! its whatever came in the box

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yUS_sg&cad=rja

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 08-02-16 at 18:24.
AO Member

Garage
Ok, thank you for the clarification! On Polish website of Eibach, among others, it is written that B12 for 159 consists of B8 shocks, that's why I was confused.
Has anyone here tried Novitec coilovers? It seems they are quite popular for 156, but I have not found much feedback for 159. On alfisti price difference between B12 and Stradale set is not that big so I wonder if it might be an option to consider.
Quote:
I believe they do
Unfortunately, as a newbie here, I am not allowed to send PMs yet. Could you PM me the price you would consider?

Last edited by Exocet; 10-02-16 at 04:34.
(Post Link) post #224 of 285 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
I believe they do
Bare in mind they will be rated to the weight of your vehicle and not all 159's weigh the same. What car did you buy them for? 1.75/1.9/2.0/2.4/3.2 ?
(Post Link) post #225 of 285 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
OK, a bit of a hijack now, my Brera has broken one of the rear springs, I replaced one last year with an original I got hold of. I wish I had bought a set of springs and done the lot but hindsight is marvellous. What is the concencious of opinion regarding a change. I don't particularly want to harden the ride or lower the car as it tends to get loaded up when it get used. Any suggestions, prices seem to vary, are there any to avoid?
I suggest starting at post #1 and working your way through as its all detailed in this thread quite nicely. OEM vs After Market, drop vs standard height and spring rates under load vs normal. lots of other users experiences and different set-ups to compare.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , bilstein or eibach , prokit , suspension , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page