159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes

AO Member

County: West Sussex
JabawokJayUK and RobMsport,

Thanks for your advice. Yes, my Ti has the 10 spoke 19" rims and as I hinted I want to have a sensible set up capable of going over 95% of all road humps etc. so I think the Sportline springs are definitely out.

Interesting that the Pro kit seems to be as near as damn it the Ti spring height but lowers the front slightly. I'll get purchasing and recover that mean and purposeful stance that the car had originally instead of the 'off-road' look it has now! There is something very strange about large diameter wheels, low profile tyres and then about 25mm of clear space between the tyre and wheel arch line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Tyrone
Quote:
Interesting that the Pro kit seems to be as near as damn it the Ti spring height but lowers the front slightly. I'll get purchasing and recover that mean and purposeful stance that the car had originally instead of the 'off-road' look it has now! There is something very strange about large diameter wheels, low profile tyres and then about 25mm of clear space between the tyre and wheel arch line.
As mentioned in the post earlier I also fitted the pro-line springs because they worked out much cheaper than replacing standard broken Ti rear springs. I've found after over 1K miles on the setup now that the rear sits a little higher than it did when I had the broken spring. I also find the ride quality to be much better than standard and I'm yet to scrape the underside of the car over speed humps etc. See the 'after' pictures on this thread for an example of it lowered. My upgrade to an Alfa 159 Ti - Detailing World The last 2 pictures showing when I bought the car and after I've polished it are set about 2 months apart. The upper picture is not lowered whereas the lower picture is. Not much difference at all!

County: Noord Holland
Has anyone tried these? TuningArt Handels GmbH - TA Technix Sportfahrwerk Alfa 159 Typ 939 25/20mm

I haven't found any reviews or any information and I would like to know if anyone has any information about them. I'm coming from the stock version, so I guess it will be an improvement. But how much of an improvement? Also, I have the 2.4 diesel.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Ned AL, if you're out there, can you tell us anything about the springs for the 159 you're developing with Bilstein.
I.e. how's the height compared to a TI, stiffness compared to pro kit springs/TI springs

Looking at an earlier page in this thread, I see the front of Jay's 2.4 TI went down about 20mm from standard TI height, but rear stayed pretty much same. Having bought my Sportwagon for family bus duties, I'm keen to keep the same height as present, don't want the rear bottoming out.
As much as I want a set of V2's, I just can't justify the outlay on this car. So hurry up with the springs!

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Anything Ned, or would you rather not say?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Anything Ned, or would you rather not say?
Hi Mate

The springs Bilstein were proposing to use are the Lusso right hight rather than the Ti so we are so is not going to work

Eibach are doing me a quote for Pro spring kit made to standard ride hight of the Ti, If we go this way I will have to order enough to do 50 cars which is a lot. This spring can be combined with a B8 Bilstein shock or a B6 for a softer ride

I am working on it don't worry, it is just not going to be as simple as I thought it would be but what is working with Alfa's?

Ned
AO Silver Member

Garage
So you just need 49 more takers.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
So you just need 49 more takers.
No I am happy to order them for stock after all 159's are always breaking their springs and it will help with the crashy ride

Order to delivery time is likely to be a couple months

Ned
AO Member

County: Tyrone
Interesting, I had no idea you could do such a thing with only 50 orders. What kind of money do you think these would work out at Ned? I'd be interested in the Ti standard ride height as I think at times the front of mine is a little low on the 30mm Eibachs now after they have settled. I also think the camber is excessive and I'm not sure I really want the adjustable camber setup you offer due to the limited people in my area capable of setting them up. I'm in no immediate panic and can wait as I only fitted the 30mm's last year. Let me know whenever you know.

cheers

Jonny
AO Silver Member

Garage
Well after an amazing amount of time flitting between Manufacturers, how much I can justify spending, do I need to justify etc, i've made a decision. It's wierd, I kind of feel like I'm letting the side down not going KW co's or the B12 kit, but I've gone for Eibach pro kit springs and Bilstein B4 dampers for a few reasons.
I had the B12 kit on my 156 and didn't like it unless I was hitting a smooth fast bend, so have always been a bit put off getting it for the 159. I've been in a 159 with it and it was tbh, but I see so many reviews that nearly always start with 'it's so hard, hope I'll get used to it', but then people seem to get used to it, maybe it wears in.

The FSD/Eibach combo is great on my Gt, but I remember the ride was terrible with 18" Pirelli's, so I was a touch worried that the same combo on 19" even with flexier sidewall tyres might be a disappointment and they aren't cheap, I don't even think you can get the FSD's for 159's anymore anyway.

I badly wanted KW V2's as I'd sworn never to buy unadjustable dampers ever again. 2 problems- bank breaker at 1200 and also remember Clogz mentioning that the spring diameter was relatively thin. I use the Sportwagon with a 4 bike rack on the back and fairly loaded- i don't want to be worrying about snapping a spring.

So it was back to Koni sports for the adjustability. Read quite a bit from American suspension tuners over the last couple of years and it seems that very rarely are the Konis actually matched to each other, they often have to be dyno'd. The adjustability is apparently questionable too. However, i went to order a set.

When I tried to order the Koni sports (Alfisti), i was asked why I didn't want the cheaper B6's. Told them the whole story, i.e. it's not a racing car, it's a family bus that needs to still look good, but have a decent ride around town. It ended up with a B4 recommendation for my needs. I think it was 159kid on here that I read a couple of weeks ago was going for the B4's and Prokit on his 159, I thought (sorry 159kid) is he mental? Putting B4's with lowered springs-nutter.

Anyway I can't find any bona fide literature saying that B4's can be used with lowering springs, but B6 can be used up to 30mm so I figure so can B4 as they're both regular length. Many people say B4 are 10% stiffer than OEM, however Bilstein say they're the same as OEM, it's just they're newer, so feel stiffer. There are a lot of BMW M-sport suspension owners that have them as direct replacements, on the whole the reviews seem very good.

I'll also be replacing all drop links, strut top mounts, tie rod ends and upper wishbones, so it's a decent outlay made a lot better by the fact the dampers, springs and delivery were only about 330. If the dampers aren't good for me, it's not much money wasted.

Cannot wait to fit it all, but it's going to be a while yet.
A few good Q and A's hear FAQs
(Post Link) post #111 of 285 Old 16-12-14 Thread Starter
Club Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Hey Al, I was talking this set-up through with Ned @ Autolusso earlier. His view was that the B4's were around 10% stiffer than stock Ti dampers while the B6's were 30% stiffer (this concurs with my own research). The view was that with the softer b4's, Eibach springs and Powerflex, the overall level of stiffness was much more forgiving than my setup with the B6, Eibach & Powerflex.

I am keen to hear how 159_kid is getting on with that setup as in hindsight, I think a B4 would have been a better choice for some of our UK roads. My wife hates the ride in my 159, I love it, but I am also very used to it and love its firmness. If I had have opted for B4's I expect I would also love it and so would the wife!!

Ned also mentioned they modified the B4's so might be worth having a word to see what they did or if they were special order from Bilstein.

Time to put the powerflex back in ??

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

Garage
Yeah, had to keep the Wife in mind, she drives it much more than me. Still got the Powerflex uppers on, no summer style creaking, but a bit of noise coming from the left dash which in the past 156/GT has been knackered upper wishbone. Daft thing is the suspension isn't that bad, it's a bit jangly around town where my GT is taught and forgiving, but it's fine at speed and not bad like the 156 was for body roll. Thing is you gotta do these things haven't ya

County: -
Hi Al, interested to know where you got the B4s and Eibachs from at that price as I'm looking at getting the same for mine.

Nick
AO Silver Member

Garage
Alfisti.com or .net
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Hi all

Looking at upgrading the suspension on my 2006 Lusso. Don't mind a firmer ride with some lowering, but don't want issues with speed bumps.

Plan was Koni FSD + Eibach like I had on my GT, but that seems to be outside my budget and not recommended for the 159.

Then, the Alfisti Bilstein B6 + Eibach kit but that seems to be too stiff.

So, is the Bilstein B4 + Eibach the way to go? I would say our roads in Ireland are the same or worse than the UK.
(Post Link) post #116 of 285 Old 05-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Then, the Alfisti Bilstein B6 + Eibach kit but that seems to be too stiff.

So, is the Bilstein B4 + Eibach the way to go? I would say our roads in Ireland are the same or worse than the UK.
B6 + Eibach is no way near "too stiff" it can be firm and is firmer than stock but never "too stiff"

B4 are about the same stiffness as stock dampers so if you don't want to change the stiffness stick with B4.
AO Silver Member

Cheers

Are the B4s an upgrade on the oem shocks?
(Post Link) post #118 of 285 Old 05-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
B series shocks from bilstein are mono tube shocks so a better design than the OEM ones. The b4's are listed as "close to OEM stiffness" but I know that Ned@ autolusso has spoken to bilstein and the b4's he is supplying have had some adjustments. The "s" series brera uses b6 shocks with adjustments made to the rebound by prodrive to soften them slightly for UK roads.

So either get tuned up b4's or stock b6's it's going to be a few percent in it which is truly hard to notice after a few miles! I'm happy with stock b6 + eibach + powerflex
AO Silver Member

Cheers - will take that on board!
(Post Link) post #120 of 285 Old 06-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
too see what a better design Bilsteins shocks are to others watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ssqkIIjLo
(Post Link) post #121 of 285 Old 06-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
AO Silver Member

Good man Jay, now I just need to bide my time. June is the target.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
B series shocks from bilstein are mono tube shocks so a better design than the OEM ones. The b4's are listed as "close to OEM stiffness" but I know that Ned@ autolusso has spoken to bilstein and the b4's he is supplying have had some adjustments. The "s" series brera uses b6 shocks with adjustments made to the rebound by prodrive to soften them slightly for UK roads.

So either get tuned up b4's or stock b6's it's going to be a few percent in it which is truly hard to notice after a few miles! I'm happy with stock b6 + eibach + powerflex
that makes a lot of sense as the brera 's' springs are a fair bit stiffer than the pro-kit
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudyniuz View Post
Has anyone tried these? TuningArt Handels GmbH - TA Technix Sportfahrwerk Alfa 159 Typ 939 25/20mm

I haven't found any reviews or any information and I would like to know if anyone has any information about them. I'm coming from the stock version, so I guess it will be an improvement. But how much of an improvement? Also, I have the 2.4 diesel.
+1. I`m also interested if someone has tried TA Technix stuff ?

Is the 20mm Front, 25mm Rear drop from a standard height the same as the TI setup >?
AO Member

All interesting stuff. After my experience with the FK Automotive rubbish, have ordered the B4s and the Prokit springs.
Should give me exactly what I want as I will be doing a 500 mile round trip every Friday to Manchester for the next ten weeks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , bilstein or eibach , prokit , suspension , upgrade