159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 21Likes

AO Member

County: Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Its worth every penny mate, the poly bushes are next for me, but I need some new tyres soon as just passing 12K on the Sessantas and down to the wear bars, so probably only another 2-4K in them, and at the minute I am doing 1-2K pcm.

The set-up is definitely mellowing a little now, and any initial harshness is disappearing leaving an absolutely sorted ride. If you're passing the Peterborough area, feel free to look me up and you can take it for a spin and see for yourself!
Hi JabawokJayUK
Please check us out (www.tyrefactors.com) or our page in the AO Trade Directory (though I seem to recall that you might have already!) - Trade prices formm Club Members.
When the time comes I would hope that we could save you some money for your new tyres.
Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Chris, I pm'd u for a quote on 4 18" Acceleras with delivery to N Ireland. Please reply ASAP please.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin159 View Post
Chris, I pm'd u for a quote on 4 18" Acceleras with delivery to N Ireland. Please reply ASAP please.
Hi Kevin
PM sent: all OK?
TF00015002 EP TYRES ACCELERA PHI 235/45 R18 Y (98) 59.90
There is a 20 surcharge for 4 tyres to N.I.
Both of these figures are ex VAT
So that means a total of 311.52 for 4 of these tyres, including VAT and delivery.

Cheers
Christopher

AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
I checked out their website and seems 17 is the figure for uk delivery in approx'ly 1 week. That's my plan plus the polybush adjustables when the cambelt's done in 2 weeks.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreFactors View Post
Hi Kevin
PM sent: all OK?
TF00015002 EP TYRES ACCELERA PHI 235/45 R18 Y (98) 59.90
There is a 20 surcharge for 4 tyres to N.I.
Both of these figures are ex VAT
So that means a total of 311.52 for 4 of these tyres, including VAT and delivery.

Cheers
Christopher
Hi
Thanks for spotting the major pricing error (doubled the VAT!)
Correct price is 263.60 delivered to NI and including VAT.
All sorted
Christopher
(Post Link) post #81 of 285 Old 10-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreFactors View Post
Hi
Thanks for spotting the major pricing error (doubled the VAT!)
Correct price is 263.60 delivered to NI and including VAT.
All sorted
Christopher
Dude, we all got to make a living but stop thread-jacking whenever you see the word tyre. Just pm people FFS.
AO Member

Quote:
Dude, we all got to make a living but stop thread-jacking whenever you see the word tyre. Just pm people FFS.
Dear JabawokJayUK
Many thanks for your contribution
You might well have a valid point.
I am happy to test your solution.
My aim has been to provide a service.
The prices we have been selling at can only serve to prove that we are not ripping anyone off, on the contrary. And have made a few Members happy in the process.
My original view was that some of the price/availabilities queries posted by Members here were of interest to others, hence my posting rather than PMing.
There are now 120,000 Members and I am not so sure that all of them already know about TyreFactors.com and its Trade Prices to Club Members, but maybe I am wrong.
However, to appease you, I will send you a PM shortly.
Christopher
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Hi Chris,
I'm more than happy for people to let me know when they can save me money, I'm sure Ill be in touch with you next September. You might have a problem with people's PM boxes being full, so just to say I don't mind you hijacking any of my threads with a reminder of cheaper priced tyres, it only takes about 4 seconds for me to read your post anyway.
P.s. You don't do petrol cheap do you?
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Agree with JabawokjayUK, stop hijacking threads. Its getting like American Tv in here, an advert every 2 seconds....
(Post Link) post #85 of 285 Old 11-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
--- back on subject ---

Bilstein's are clearly made for better tarmac!

If you like to think your ride is sporty but don't like to feel like your ride is sporty, get something else, that's my advice after 1 thousand miles on them.

They are solid, the car is planted and never felt as stable, the down side to that is over some of our rougher roads (M42 south of Birmingham is a good example) it can be quite harsh at times, but for the most part, the ride is much better than stock.

Pro's
  • Planted / Stable Ride regardless of speed
  • Amazing feel in the corners
  • Only a slight dip under heavy breaking
  • Only slight lift on heavy acceleration
  • Increased Steering feel and turn in
  • Slight additional lowering from stock TI @ front (25mm)
  • Ride doesn't alter even with lots of extra weight, i.e. car full of people

Con's
  • Can be harsh over rougher surfaces
  • You go A LOT SLOWER over speed bumps
  • Extra, un-dampened shock is passed through to other components like bushes which can cause failing bushes to fail faster!

So in short, do I regret it? No, it was worth every penny.

It would be useful to compare them to a set the Koni FSD's as the FSD's are in the same price category all in and may be a better choice for the UK roads and a softer cruise.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Vorarlberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN View Post
Do they really drop the car 35mm?
I would say so yes. Especially when considering that they will go down a little more over time.
I forgot to measure it when it was on stock suspension but it's a big difference. Looks so much better. The ride is a bit harsher on very bad roads and the same on normal roads.
This is from stock though. If you have a TI there wont be a big difference i guess.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse View Post
I would say so yes. Especially when considering that they will go down a little more over time.
I forgot to measure it when it was on stock suspension but it's a big difference. Looks so much better. The ride is a bit harsher on very bad roads and the same on normal roads.
This is from stock though. If you have a TI there wont be a big difference i guess.
Thank you Themse. I'm on stock springs but i think I've made my mind...
AO Silver Member

My 159 2.4ti had it's B12 suspension kit put on yesterday apart from completion of the passenger front. Strangely , the alluminium fork that bolts onto the bottom of the shock unit cracked while being torqued up . I can only assume either the new Bilstein steel side plate that gets clamped , is a touch thinner or thicker , for the cast ally fork to crack. Alfa at Amersham quoted 147 and added that they'd never supplied one before plus it would be 5 days to get it from Italy !!!
Autolusso at Houghton Regis supplied me a secondhand fork for 24 inc vat --- while I waited for it to be stripped off a car --- brilliant.
Well done Ned , I shan't forget this Powerflex my next improvement
(Post Link) post #89 of 285 Old 09-04-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMsport View Post
My 159 2.4ti had it's B12 suspension kit put on yesterday apart from completion of the passenger front. Strangely , the alluminium fork that bolts onto the bottom of the shock unit cracked while being torqued up . I can only assume either the new Bilstein steel side plate that gets clamped , is a touch thinner or thicker , for the cast ally fork to crack. Alfa at Amersham quoted 147 and added that they'd never supplied one before plus it would be 5 days to get it from Italy !!!
Autolusso at Houghton Regis supplied me a secondhand fork for 24 inc vat --- while I waited for it to be stripped off a car --- brilliant.
Well done Ned , I shan't forget this Powerflex my next improvement
Ned is a good bloke.

My Powerflex bushes are going in on Friday
AO Member

County: Tyrone
After reading this post I opted for the standard eibach 30mm drop on standard dampers after my Ti broke a rear spring. I diy'd them myself. After a week and 400 miles or so the springs have settled nicely. There is still plenty of clearance under the car, I am yet to bottom out or scrape the sump guard. Imho it has lowered the car by a small amount but enough to give a slightly more aggressive stance, its looks really well. The ride is slightly firmer than standard but I found the standard setup to be uber soft and wafty. I'd still like the car to be firmed up a good bit more as its still a little wallowey in hard cornering. My last car was an E46 318ci m sport and it was super sharp and firm on its standard set up. I suppose anything will feel lethargic compared to it. I'd definitely recommend these springs, even on their own, as a cheap upgrade to the OE springs.
xvx
AO Member

County: Constanta

Member car:

159 jtdM

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Ned is a good bloke.

My Powerflex bushes are going in on Friday
I spoke to Ned yesterday about the powerflex kit . Facinated to here of your assessment once fitted next week
(Post Link) post #93 of 285 Old 10-04-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
--- back on subject ---

Bilstein's are clearly made for better tarmac!

If you like to think your ride is sporty but don't like to feel like your ride is sporty, get something else, that's my advice after 1 thousand miles on them.

They are solid, the car is planted and never felt as stable, the down side to that is over some of our rougher roads (M42 south of Birmingham is a good example) it can be quite harsh at times, but for the most part, the ride is much better than stock.

Pro's
  • Planted / Stable Ride regardless of speed
  • Amazing feel in the corners
  • Only a slight dip under heavy breaking
  • Only slight lift on heavy acceleration
  • Increased Steering feel and turn in
  • Slight additional lowering from stock TI @ front (25mm)
  • Ride doesn't alter even with lots of extra weight, i.e. car full of people

Con's
  • Can be harsh over rougher surfaces
  • You go A LOT SLOWER over speed bumps
  • Extra, un-dampened shock is passed through to other components like bushes which can cause failing bushes to fail faster!

So in short, do I regret it? No, it was worth every penny.

It would be useful to compare them to a set the Koni FSD's as the FSD's are in the same price category all in and may be a better choice for the UK roads and a softer cruise.
---- FINAL UPDATE ----

Here are my final thoughts now the shocks and springs have 100% settled in.
  1. It is no longer harsh at all, even over rougher surfaces
  2. It corners like its on rails with no body roll at all
  3. I have driven BMW's and Audi's that are harsher than it!
  4. The car is so planted on the road
  5. Large pot holes don't shake the dash anymore, they are just dealt with cleanly

Worth every penny, and a must have upgrade for the TI. My wife used to panic when I hit a roundabout hard with the car on stock TI suspension as you would get massive body roll leaving her pinned against the windows and being thrown around in her seat. Now, I can enter much faster and she doesn't even notice until we start to pull G's and she mentions "that was a little quick wasn't it?"

Next up, Powerflex bushes, courtesy of Ned, which will complete the handling package upgrade. and make it a "prodrive esq" 159 TiS or STi, but you can get creams for that nowadays
Major_Clanger likes this.
AO Silver Member

My B12 report

Well , having literally just picked up my car after Paul at AFORALFA finished the fit , I'm actually amazed at the ride. To be quite honest it's infact more comfortable than before , so I can only assume that the original shocks/springs have had their day
Possibly someone's previously put stiffer ones on at some point or perhaps the fact the rears were cracked made it feel very stiff , due to less travel and a touch lower ?--- I really cannot be certain. However , the ride is great , it just floats but handles well at the speed I've driven it so far (Paul advised I let it settle for a few hundred miles before shoving it into corners aggressively)
Very strange that my perception after the B12 kit fitted is so different to others on here --- it's lower to look at though , just a little all though I haven't measured it .

Best bit is the cost of the AFORALFA fit at 200 plus a '' fork '' via Ned at Autolusso for 24
(Post Link) post #95 of 285 Old 10-04-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Good value on that fitting fee Rob!

I think my OE shocks were so soft and so worn that the initial B6 feel felt much harsher. I am not sure how much of the change over time is me getting used to them or them settling in, but I am very happy with them now! Welcome to the B12 club
AO Silver Member

I'll give the old shocks a good cleaning then maybe something stamped on them may bring something to light --- if they aren't standard that is Mine never rolled in corners even pushed hard in 2nd/3rd but now when over speed bumps nice and slow , it bounces a little coming off whereas before it just dropped down rather hard. The old shocks aren't leaking so it's a puzzle.
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Not sure whether you'd call this thread hijacking or revival!? I thought about a new thread but after reading all of this one it seems most pertinent.

Like others I had cracked rear springs on my 159 Ti SW and needed to get replaced for MoT. They fitted ones supplied from local factors with just the reg number and they are far higher than before. This was about 6 months ago and I have now done approx. 6000 miles on current the set up. It is comfortable and not too different in how it feels to the original- except for not being broken that is!!

It looks all wrong to have so much air between the tyre and wheel arch- a bit Volvo V70 if you know what I mean!!

So my questions are:-

1. Eibach Proline springs claim 25-30mm drop at the rear; is this similar to Ti springs (when they haven't both cracked). My current rear wheel centre to wheel arch measure is 375mm. ( Front with original Ti springs 360mm). Does anybody know their measurements.
2. Eibach Sportline springs claim 45-50mm drop. Anybody fitted these and if so are they still comfortable and practical? And do they drop as much is claimed- what is the rear wheel arch to wheel centre measurement?

Whichever kit I end up with I shall keep the dampers as AR Ti as they haven't done many miles and I will obviously fit both front and rear springs as a set.
AO Member

County: Durham
I have the Eibach Proline springs on my Lusso, I think the drop is 25-30mm, i think or tho can be corrected that the ti springs are 20mm lower than a lusso.
The back always does look a bit high compared with the front so maybe a 25-35mm drop will even it out.
(Post Link) post #99 of 285 Old 10-05-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbox View Post
Not sure whether you'd call this thread hijacking or revival!? I thought about a new thread but after reading all of this one it seems most pertinent.

Like others I had cracked rear springs on my 159 Ti SW and needed to get replaced for MoT. They fitted ones supplied from local factors with just the reg number and they are far higher than before. This was about 6 months ago and I have now done approx. 6000 miles on current the set up. It is comfortable and not too different in how it feels to the original- except for not being broken that is!!

It looks all wrong to have so much air between the tyre and wheel arch- a bit Volvo V70 if you know what I mean!!

So my questions are:-

1. Eibach Proline springs claim 25-30mm drop at the rear; is this similar to Ti springs (when they haven't both cracked). My current rear wheel centre to wheel arch measure is 375mm. ( Front with original Ti springs 360mm). Does anybody know their measurements.
2. Eibach Sportline springs claim 45-50mm drop. Anybody fitted these and if so are they still comfortable and practical? And do they drop as much is claimed- what is the rear wheel arch to wheel centre measurement?

Whichever kit I end up with I shall keep the dampers as AR Ti as they haven't done many miles and I will obviously fit both front and rear springs as a set.
Revival works well, its what a forums is for!!!

the centre hub to arch measurement for a lusso seems to be in the 38/39cm marker, my Ti was 36 at the front and 35 at the rear on stock springs and 34.5 all round on eibach pro-kit springs. sportline springs seem to be another 2cm lower so would have made it 32 ish, which on 19" rims would have the tops of the wheels buried inside the arches like a ricer!! on 18's it may be less of an issue, but the overall road height will be interesting!! mine is 12cm at the lowest point and hardly ever scrapes, a couple of cm lower and you are on the legal height limit of every speed hump ever made, and we all know that ground-works folk can't measure for s**t
AO Silver Member

Personally I think the Sportline springs will be too low and risk touching the '' turned under '' rim of the wheel arch as they flex up into the arch . My 2.4 ti tyre to arch gap is tight even using PRO-KIT . I haven't measured them but when putting my hand/fingers between tyre and arch , they only just go in. So assuming you are on 19's it's not on .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , bilstein or eibach , prokit , suspension , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page