159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes

(Post Link) post #51 of 285 Old 26-02-13 Thread Starter
Club Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mccain View Post
Let us know how you see the clearance issues on the road. Mine scrapes a lot...
I am a little concerned about this. The lowest point to the ground was around 12cm before the upgrade, but as the front has dropped 15-20mm its now borderline at around 10cm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
I am a little concerned about this. The lowest point to the ground was around 12cm before the upgrade, but as the front has dropped 15-20mm its now borderline at around 10cm!
I would'nt worry to much. When I swopped mine over it dropped the car approx 50mm, yes I have to go a bit slower over the speed bumps, of which some are small mountains around here, but just put one wheel on the hump and the other in the gap. Not had any real issues so far and there are others running coil overs that are much lower than mine.

Last edited by coxy1; 26-02-13 at 18:18.
Club Member

County: West Yorkshire
Just do what I do when you see a speedbump....go the other way!

I'm running about 75mm front clearance so you've got a bit to spare...

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
Just do what I do when you see a speedbump....go the other way!

I'm running about 75mm front clearance so you've got a bit to spare...

This would be the man who's running a lot lower than me, go Clogz

PS:- your ex Koni's and Novi's are running sweet as a nut on my 159.
AO Member

County: -
thanks phil. that sounds much more reasonable. I think I am going to go with a project called - swap TI suspension to bilstein b6 and standard springs
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
I measured the back of my Lusso the other day an has 38 n/s and 37 o/s
LUSSO's aren't as low because the ti has sports suspension according to the advertising plus wheels/tyres are different size/profile.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMsport View Post
LUSSO's aren't as low because the ti has sports suspension according to the advertising plus wheels/tyres are different size/profile.
very true, meant to be 20mm lower, but appears to be a fair bit more than that in reality (these meausurements aren't affected by what tyres/wheels are fitted)
(Post Link) post #58 of 285 Old 01-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
--- update ---

So far its just been general short trips around town and the daily school run mixed with some 2-3 mile duel carriageway runs. So far its awesome! The car is literately on rails, completely planted on the road, super sharp turn in with a weighty'er feel to the wheel and no harsh rides at any speeds. Yes, its firmer, but only in a good, confident way, not a "I wish I had bought the Koni FSD's kind of way" !!

Next week, I have my monthly 450 mile round trip to the north and back over some of the UK's best/worst roads (A1/A1M/A66), so will let you know how I fair!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

A suspension upgrade transforms the 159. I'll nip over at some point and we can compare.

Big thumbs up mate and glad youre happy.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto
Excellent topic! Very good info about the gap we get floor/car on more than one setup!
I'm too about to do something with my 159 (not TI) suspension. Last year I got a new set of B4 because the original dumpers were tired. But Now I want to add something more. I've been watching the Eibach ARB because I would like to improve the turning performance. I also suspect that the original arb bushes might be tired as I get some knocking sound (got new links when I got the B4).
So the Eibach arb could be a solution (except for the price)…
Or the Eibach prokit springs… at a very good price.

But then I don’t want to go lower, much lower. I also suspect that the original springs with 95k kms might be a bit tired and the 159 looks already more lowered than before.
What would you do? Jump to the Eibach arb or that would not have a great result for my 159? I never drove one 159 with the Eibach arb before so I really can’t comment but maybe someone here have it?

Thanks guys!

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
(Post Link) post #61 of 285 Old 04-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
I am no expert, but I have read much on the subject of knocking! The most likely culprit is the upper wishbones, or more specifically, the bushes in the upper wishbones. Powerflex now make a replacement that they have been working on with Ned from AutoLusso. This not only solves the knocking but stiffens the ride and allows for greater adjustment in the wheel alignment.

I had considered the Eibach ARB's but have heard that they can make the car VERY stiff, and quite unpleasant (if someone can counter this statement, please do) I have also heard that the OE ARB's are not great and quite thin, but have not read anything on them knocking, other than the drop links breaking. I did read one post on someone who had the Eibach ARB's fitted and complained that they were rubbing and causing issues, but again, it was an isolated incident so most likely just poorly fitted.

As I also have a worn NSF upper wishbone bush (or at least the knocking noise associated with it), my next upgrade will be the Powerflex bush kit, but not for a while, as I am now officially broke after the £1800 I just spent on brakes and suspension
(Post Link) post #62 of 285 Old 04-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
A suspension upgrade transforms the 159. I'll nip over at some point and we can compare.

Big thumbs up mate and glad youre happy.
Very Happy! tomorrow, I have a nice little 400 mile round trip to do and looking forward to it! (Peterborough > Lancaster > Leeds > Peterborough) Drop me an email when you're thinking of heading over, I want to see how much power that beast of yours is knocking out now as I have a cunning plan on how to put that much power in a QTRONIC and not cause the gearbox problems
AO Member

County: Tel Aviv (Gosh Dan)
Quote:
Any chance of some opinion / advice on an investment path please?

I have a cracked spring (common fault I know) so am using this as an opportunity to improve the stock suspension.

Option 1)

Eibach ProSystem suspension kit
around 500 EUR on Alfisti

Option 2)

Eibach-Bilstein Suspension Kit "Sportiva" (B6 Sport Shocks & ProKit Springs also known as the B12 Pro Kit I beleive)
around 649 EUR on Alfisti

Option 3)

As per Option 2 but with Eibach Sportline Springs.
50mm drop & harder ride.

around the same price as option 2

I don't want to step up into the coilover brackit as the cost jump is too much to swallow right now, and I have had feedback that it can be too harsh for a daily driver.

My requirements are:
  • It needs to feel firmer than the stock TI setup but not be a bone breaker
  • It needs to be not much lower than the TI is right now on 19's as clearance is useful!
  • I can do upwards of 1000 miles in a week sometimes and I dont want to get to my cleints looking like I have just run the nurburg.

Simple really.

Ideas?
Leaving the broken spring aside, the best way for you to achieve your requirements is by replacing the anti rolls (Eibach has good ones). Reduces the body role, increases chasis communication and minimally if at all affects ride comfort.
AO Platinum Member

Thank you for your input, Jaba.

Quote:
I am no expert, but I have read much on the subject of knocking! The most likely culprit is the upper wishbones, or more specifically, the bushes in the upper wishbones. Powerflex now make a replacement that they have been working on with Ned from AutoLusso. This not only solves the knocking but stiffens the ride and allows for greater adjustment in the wheel alignment.
I had that problema with the 147. The knock was very similar to the arb. But I also had the upper wishbones done...

Quote:

I had considered the Eibach ARB's but have heard that they can make the car VERY stiff, and quite unpleasant (if someone can counter this statement, please do) I have also heard that the OE ARB's are not great and quite thin, but have not read anything on them knocking, other than the drop links breaking. I did read one post on someone who had the Eibach ARB's fitted and complained that they were rubbing and causing issues, but again, it was an isolated incident so most likely just poorly fitted.
From my experience on a 156, the Eibach arb transformed the performance without touch the confort. It really tight the front improving the performance (I can even say that the confort won too). That's why I'm also considering the Eibach arbs to the 159 because I think the front bends a bit at low speed curves.

Oh and thank you for the info about they rubbing! Must be something about fitting...
AO Member

I can second the fact that they transform the car to the positive side.
Yes, they rub the right drive shaft. In my case it was solved by removing the extra bit of metal which includes the hole for the softer setting.
AO Platinum Member

Thanks for your opinion, Amiger!

Just a few questions:

1. have you changed another suspension bits or just the arb?
2. did it really improved the body rol?
3. what about feeling? Do you still have a good feeling if it goes under or overstear?
4. what about the rubbing problem? is it a design problem?

Thank you!
AO Member

1. Just the arb
2.Improved body roll significantly. Improved the stability of the car significantly.
3.Improved feeling all around as far as chassis driver communication is concerned.
4. The rubbing is definitely a design issue, it is too long on the front right side and rubs against the right drive shaft on left turns. As I wrote, cutting the excess length resolves the rubbing issue but leaves you without the possibility to use the softer setting of the arb.
(Post Link) post #68 of 285 Old 05-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
--- update ---

Well I just completed a 200 mile blast up the A1, across the M62 and up the M6, so a mixture of surfaces to contend with. It's a lot firmer than it was that's for certain! At times it was borderline uncomfortable, but that was when I was pushing hard on the rougher surfaces. For the most part the ride is well balanced and totally planted with zero body roll. There is hardly any dive under very heavy braking and no noticeable nose lift under hard acceleration. It just goes where you point it regardless of speed.

What's hard to describe is the sense of increased confidence that this setup brings. It's hard to understand, given how well the stock OE setup handles, how much better it is with the B6/Eibach combo. It really shows up the failings in the OE shocks/springs, even on the TI models.

I am going to try some lower PSI in the tyres next as I am still running my 19's at 42PSI. I think I will try it at 38PSI or 40PSI and see what that does to the ride.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiger View Post
1. Just the arb
2.Improved body roll significantly. Improved the stability of the car significantly.
3.Improved feeling all around as far as chassis driver communication is concerned.
4. The rubbing is definitely a design issue, it is too long on the front right side and rubs against the right drive shaft on left turns. As I wrote, cutting the excess length resolves the rubbing issue but leaves you without the possibility to use the softer setting of the arb.
Thank you amiger!
I've just wrote to EIbach and ask them about this problem. I'm waiting for the reply.
Just in case I wont go for the new arb, I will get na original and probaly the Eibach prokit springs.

... and see how it compares with Jaba's B12 kit.
AO Member

County: Vorarlberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN View Post
Excellent topic! Very good info about the gap we get floor/car on more than one setup!
I'm too about to do something with my 159 (not TI) suspension. Last year I got a new set of B4 because the original dumpers were tired. But Now I want to add something more. I've been watching the Eibach ARB because I would like to improve the turning performance. I also suspect that the original arb bushes might be tired as I get some knocking sound (got new links when I got the B4).
So the Eibach arb could be a solution (except for the price)…
Or the Eibach prokit springs… at a very good price.

But then I don’t want to go lower, much lower. I also suspect that the original springs with 95k kms might be a bit tired and the 159 looks already more lowered than before.
What would you do? Jump to the Eibach arb or that would not have a great result for my 159? I never drove one 159 with the Eibach arb before so I really can’t comment but maybe someone here have it?

Thanks guys!
I just recently went from stock (non TI) to Eibachs (the one that lower the car 35mm-40mm). It's great. The ride firm but still comfortable and it looks so much better. Because of the long overhang (sp? non native speaker here) you have to becareful in some parking garages but the typical speedbump is no issue.
AO Platinum Member

Do they really drop the car 35mm?
AO Silver Member

Jay --- you've got me going now . Drove over to Autolusso today to see their set-up and hopefully see a car having new camber adjustable poly bushes fitted . That was the plan but nothing to actually look at , nevertheless Ned was very helpful in showing me the new bushes developed by him and Powerflex. Put mine up on the ramp for a look around ---- what do yer reckon , a rear right cracked spring.
I need to get the cambelt/water pump/etc done asap , so the suspension will have to wait a while. Having said that , I'm seriously considering the Alfisti Eibach springs/Bilstein B6 shocks that you had fitted at the same time as some poly bushes.
The money is scary but if the springs have to be replaced that means the shocks are removed too ---- seems wasteful in labour not to get the Bilstein shocks too ?
Might have to do some of the work myself then get it aligned afterwards ?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
--- update ---

Well I just completed a 200 mile blast up the A1, across the M62 and up the M6, so a mixture of surfaces to contend with. It's a lot firmer than it was that's for certain! At times it was borderline uncomfortable, but that was when I was pushing hard on the rougher surfaces. For the most part the ride is well balanced and totally planted with zero body roll. There is hardly any dive under very heavy braking and no noticeable nose lift under hard acceleration. It just goes where you point it regardless of speed.

What's hard to describe is the sense of increased confidence that this setup brings. It's hard to understand, given how well the stock OE setup handles, how much better it is with the B6/Eibach combo. It really shows up the failings in the OE shocks/springs, even on the TI models.

I am going to try some lower PSI in the tyres next as I am still running my 19's at 42PSI. I think I will try it at 38PSI or 40PSI and see what that does to the ride.
Jay --- that's where I run mine after trying the handbook fast driving at 45 front 41 rear. I rarely carry passengers other than my wife and only tow ocassionally so dropped to the light load handbook psi at 41 front 38 rear --- it certainly rides smoother but beware kerbs and potholes !!

Last edited by RobMsport; 08-03-13 at 08:39.
(Post Link) post #74 of 285 Old 07-03-13 Thread Starter
Club Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMsport View Post
Jay --- you've got me going now . Drove over to Autolusso today to see their set-up and hopefully see a car having new camber adjustable poly bushes fitted . That was the plan but nothing to actually look at , nevertheless Ned was very helpful in showing me the new bushes developed by him and Powerflex. Put mine up on the ramp for a look around ---- what do yer reckon , a rear right cracked spring.
I need to get the cambelt/water pump/etc done asap , so the suspension will have to wait a while. Having said that , I'm seriously considering the Alfisti Eibach springs/Bilstein B6 shocks that you had fitted at the same time as some poly bushes.
The money is scary but if the springs have to be replaced that means the shocks are removed too ---- seems wasteful in labour not to get the Bilstein shocks too ?
Might have to do some of the work myself then get it aligned afterwards ?
Its worth every penny mate, the poly bushes are next for me, but I need some new tyres soon as just passing 12K on the Sessantas and down to the wear bars, so probably only another 2-4K in them, and at the minute I am doing 1-2K pcm.

The set-up is definitely mellowing a little now, and any initial harshness is disappearing leaving an absolutely sorted ride. If you're passing the Peterborough area, feel free to look me up and you can take it for a spin and see for yourself!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Its worth every penny mate, the poly bushes are next for me, but I need some new tyres soon as just passing 12K on the Sessantas and down to the wear bars, so probably only another 2-4K in them, and at the minute I am doing 1-2K pcm.

The set-up is definitely mellowing a little now, and any initial harshness is disappearing leaving an absolutely sorted ride. If you're passing the Peterborough area, feel free to look me up and you can take it for a spin and see for yourself!
Quite a while since I was up your way --- actually it was the Peterborough Agri ' show , years ago ! If the sun decides to shine -- well who knows , a run could be on the cards .

Last edited by RobMsport; 08-03-13 at 08:39.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , bilstein or eibach , prokit , suspension , upgrade