159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 21Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Unless you just swap the dampers, you are always going to change the ride height slightly, but Eibachs do seem pretty close!
The spring will affect the ride height but unfortunately so does the shock absorber. It has the spring seat at it's higher end and the lower end sits in the fork socket. Depending on manufacturer these can vary. Compared to an Alfa part Bilsteins sit higher in the socket and the spring seat is further up the strut. Of course this gets hidden if the spring is shorter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post

The spring will affect the ride height but unfortunately so does the shock absorber. It has the spring seat at it's higher end and the lower end sits in the fork socket. Depending on manufacturer these can vary. Compared to an Alfa part Bilsteins sit higher in the socket and the spring seat is further up the strut. Of course this gets hidden if the spring is shorter.
Good point!
AO Member

County: -Londonderry
Soft suspension??

Hi all. Just joined after reading this very informative thread. Let me give you a bit of background. Bought my 08 1.9 diesel Ti in May & loving it. Only had 54000 on the clock but was in need of 2 rear tyres. Put them on 2 weeks ago & now all of a sudden whenever i go over a bumpy bit of road the outside of the tyre is rubbing on the arch (it came with spacers on). My mechanic checked for cracked springs etc. but everything seems OK. He also bounced it up & down & said suspension was fine & advised me to take spacers off which i'm loathe to do cos I really like the look it gives the back end plus they didn't rub before!! I'm at a loss. Having read all the posts I'll go for the B4's & Eibach Pro springs as this seems the closest to the original set up. You all seem really friendly & passionate about Alfa's. This is my first one & I kinda understand why. Sorry for the lack of paragrahs etc. but i'm not too good at this sort of thing!1

AO Member

County: Lodzkie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Maybe your Bilsteins are not fully seated in the collar. Can you do a picture of the lower seating?
Hello,
Sorry for the delay, but here is the picture of the lower part of front Bilstein.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d0323bb3d9.jpg
Does it respond to your request or would you like a photo with spring visible?
It is interesting what you have written above that Bilstein shocks affect ride height.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Its Back!

First things first. It feels great, not at all harsher than OE, but it feels so much more planted on the road. not bumpy, and much more refined than the OE suspension.

I will give some proper feedback after I have done some miles in her, for now, here are the salient cosmetic points:

The measurements:
Attachment 163020

Before vs after - side profile:
Attachment 163021

Front & Rear Before:
Attachment 163025 Attachment 163023

Front & Rear After:
Attachment 163024 Attachment 163022
Hi. Am I right in thinking that with the B12 setup the rear arch is actually higher? That would suit as I am having a bit of tyre rub with my 1.9 Ti diesel & am thinking of the B12.
AO Member

County: Lodzkie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagumper66 View Post
Put them on 2 weeks ago & now all of a sudden whenever i go over a bumpy bit of road the outside of the tyre is rubbing on the arch (it came with spacers on). My mechanic checked for cracked springs etc. but everything seems OK. He also bounced it up & down & said suspension was fine & advised me to take spacers off which i'm loathe to do cos I really like the look it gives the back end plus they didn't rub before!! I'm at a loss. Having read all the posts I'll go for the B4's & Eibach Pro springs as this seems the closest to the original set up.
Did you check wheel alignment/geometry? If you are not afraid of excessive tire wear you may try large negative camber to help tires fit in arches.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Did you check wheel alignment/geometry? If you are not afraid of excessive tire wear you may try large negative camber to help tires fit in arches.
I didn't check alignment. Car runs like it's on rails. Take my hands off the steering wheel & it goes perfectly straight & I'm terrified of excessive tyre wear.
AO Member

County: -
I thought I would bump an old thread rather than start a new one.

I have a dilemma. I have a cracked front Spring on my 159 1.9 Ti and I'm looking at replacements.

Now the dilemma. The car has previously had the rear springs replaced, but I have a suspicion they have been replaced with non-Ti springs . I therefore am looking to confirm they are non-Ti and then I will replace all four with Eibachs or similar.

Thank to jabawocki (sp?) I looked at his before and after measurements, I appreciate its a 2.4 but it gave me something to work with.

My front arch gap from edge of rim to arch is approx 10.5cm so on par for his measurements. However my rear arch gap is more like 13cm in comparison to his 8.5cm!!! I'm fairly confident this confirms my believes.

Can anyone confirm this?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
My rear arch measure is 38cm from wheel centre to arch. Ti Tbi Sportwagon
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Be interestesting to see where your headlights are pointing!
If you are at all concerned the safe bet would be to replace all four anyway, eibachs are pretty cheap and a good ride, but thoroughly recommend doing the shocks (bilstein b4s are pretty much OEM), as it shouldn't increAse the cost of the job either, and we are starting to see shocks start corroding

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , bilstein or eibach , prokit , suspension , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page