159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 21Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Hi, yes winding the spring purch up is for height adjustment not to adjust spring rate. If the spring is coil bound with all the weight in the rear then the spring rate needs to be higher, or take some weight out. Yes coil covers are a good idea to keep the grit out more than anything else as the kw's are stainless steel.
As said don't worry for now just wait and see how the std setup is, it's good to chat about options though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Hi Damian,

These are for my 159, I'm still utterly smitten with the FSDs and Eibachs on the Gt, so no need to change (yet). I just found an old thread, post #19 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...gs-change.html (159TI springs change?)with some estimated Spring rates for Eibach rears and they're about 40 n/mm compared to 60 on the KW. I don't know know if this a straight comparison as Spring lengths are around 10cm different, I get confused here.
Anyway, I went to bed last night ready to get coilspringsuk to make me some longer springs, but if those Spring rates above are a fair comparison, then I ought to be okay. I'm honestly not a nutter
I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get low speed town driving better and 80mlh cruising more planted- oh wait, I'm gonna need EDC.
Hi Alex

Sorry bud, i always forget you have your gorgeous 159. Well same applies. I think she will be transformed. Changing spring lengths can cause comfort issues. I say this after experience with my eibach pro S kit.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Hi Alex

Sorry bud, i always forget you have your gorgeous 159. Well same applies. I think she will be transformed. Changing spring lengths can cause comfort issues. I say this after experience with my eibach pro S kit.

Damien.
Its all relative to the height setting. I've got a few customers who love those longer springs on their Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, they quite transformed the ride, because they have the height set only slightly lower than factory. As you run yours significantly lower than factory, the original shorter springs are more suited.

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Spend enough time on the net and one can become quite paranoid There's plenty out there about rears not holding up too well for domestic use, folk running out of adjustment, buying new springs and as Dan had suggested earlier, fitting spacers.
So it seems KW have already addressed this https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kw-suspe...h/65030046~kw/

I believe they come in 10,15,20 or 30mm, I just need to check compatibility, even though my concerns might be pointless, I'd feel happier having a spacer.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Well I didn't get too much joy from ecs tuning about the spacers. Nice of them to reply quickly, but apparently they don't have means of measuring the outer and inner diameter of the spacers and they only work with German cars

I'll put some pics up of the top collar of the coilover. To fit this in the rear top mount, you have to remove the inner core of the Alfa top mount. If I could pick the brains of you engineers out there on the safety aspect of what I'm thinking.

Have a spacer machined so it's effectively the same as the KW purple one but 30mm deep as in the drawing. i assume aluminium would be strong enough ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.1 KB, 15 views)

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
AO Silver Member

Garage
And...waiting for new top mounts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by alcooker; 22-02-16 at 21:15.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Drawing. There's 14mm deep space inside the alfa top mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by alcooker; 22-02-16 at 22:02.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its all relative to the height setting. I've got a few customers who love those longer springs on their Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, they quite transformed the ride, because they have the height set only slightly lower than factory. As you run yours significantly lower than factory, the original shorter springs are more suited.
With you Dan. But a lot depends on the spring rate of the longer springs as well as the length. I have to say why people fit coilovers to run at the same or slightly same right height as oem shocks and springs is beyond me. You would be much better buying a quality tested damper spring kit kit.
Getting the balance in road ride comfort, stance, and performance is a fine art running coilovers. For me the eibach pro S kit is an awesome compromise. The factory set damper rates with the kit springs are really a fantastic set up. And even at my considerably lower ride height are not overly aggressive in ride quality. And i do honestly believe even if i had spent a bit more for the excellent KW V3's, i would have adjusted them very much the same as my std preset eibach pro S settings.

Look forward to Alex's feedback after his lovely V3's fitting.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

Garage
I know what you mean about coilovers Damian, it's just I kind of want them so I can jack the ride up rather than going downbut I only really want them for what will hopefully be an excellent damper and Spring combo. The fact I can fine tune the rebound so much is also a massive plus, I've not seen anything else available for the 159 that comes near this level of adjustability. I can't see me messing with the bump, but it's nice to know it's there, I just need to figure out what the f it does

I've just returned from the local machining shop and they're going to knock me up some replacement spacers in Acetal/Delrin. I'll get about 26mm less lowering on the rear, so approx 10-40mm adjustability from a lusso ride height. Yeah they might not be needed, but I'm the sort that would rather say I shouldn't have bothered rather than I wish I had.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Al, the more I read about what you want to achieve, the more I'm thinking you should put a couple of coil over air bags on the back.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Un...3D141548913128
these just replace your springs, would need to check your shock tubing is less than 54mm.
They will extend up to 240mm which I think will be plenty.
You don't have to install air pumps and cylinders in the boot, they can be pumped up (slowly) with a tire pump and check valve positioned where you want.
Arrive at destination with high rear load, unload (car shoots up) then just bleed some air off to restore ride height in seconds and off you go.
AO Silver Member

Garage
I know cars like the Espace has bags for springs, but I had no idea these existed, cheers for that. I've had a good read about them, just like setting sag on the shock on my mtb bike. Hopefully I won't need to spend another 380 on top of the 80 the spacers are costing and the almost 200 on top mounts. It never works out cheaper than you think
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
I know cars like the Espace has bags for springs, but I had no idea these existed, cheers for that. I've had a good read about them, just like setting sag on the shock on my mtb bike. Hopefully I won't need to spend another 380 on top of the 80 the spacers are costing and the almost 200 on top mounts. It never works out cheaper than you think
Alex i would try the rears without the spacers to kick off! I really think you will have enough height adjustment.

Damien.
AO Member

County: Lodzkie
Garage
Hi all,
As I had my shocks tested, my car ('07 2.4 JTDm Q4 TI saloon with fuel tank half-filled) has been on scales.
So results are 1037 kg front (542 kg left/495 kg right) and 697 kg rear (401 kg left/296 kg right).
I am sharing these results, as I hope some input data might be helpful for this interesting technical discussion.
Cheers.
alcooker likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Hi all,

I'm thinking about upgrading the front suspension on my 2.4Ti. Do any of you have first-hand experience of Autolusso's set-up using their own modified dampers and Eibach springs? I'm fairly sure this is the route I'm going to take (along with lower polybushes) but it would be really useful to have some insight.

Thanks!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Hi all,
As I had my shocks tested, my car ('07 2.4 JTDm Q4 TI saloon with fuel tank half-filled) has been on scales.
So results are 1037 kg front (542 kg left/495 kg right) and 697 kg rear (401 kg left/296 kg right).
I am sharing these results, as I hope some input data might be helpful for this interesting technical discussion.
Cheers.

Just spotted this, interesting as have read another suspension thread where they discussed the ride height being slightly different left and right, think 100kgs might well explain it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
AO Member

County: -
The diff between left and right is close to 140kg.
Does that means the weight distribution would be worse on LHD vs a RHD when we include the driver weight?
Any thoughts on what impact that might be?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiex View Post
The diff between left and right is close to 140kg.

Does that means the weight distribution would be worse on LHD vs a RHD when we include the driver weight?

Any thoughts on what impact that might be?

More here;

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=158072 (Rear suspension heights on 159 ti)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
AO Member

Garage
Hi all,
I had B12 installed in my Q4 and after few hundreds kilometers I am very satisfied!
So far I have driven on variety of roads, town, country roads, motorways, even some unpaved roads and also over variety of speed bumps, cushions, tables etc. that were generously placed around my city. I have driven both alone and with passengers.
Firstly, due to availability problems, I have bought shocks and springs separately, so I was told that it is for sure Bilstein B8 that is used as part of B12.
Secondly, my ride height has increased after installing Eibachs, from 34,5 cm to 36,5 cm. I suppose after settling in it will drop slightly, anyhow reducing ground clearance was not my aim, so it's ok.
Thirdly, I had top mounts replaced plus lower wishbones powerflexed. What is interesting is that I had problem with a squeaky sound while going over speed humps BEFORE powerflexing and now it is gone. I wonder if it might have been connected with worn out top mounts?
Finally, new suspension really transformed my car. Even on 19' rims it does not feel too rough. It is firm, but not in an uncomfortable way. I guess that my old shocks were really worn out (even though test showed they were still OK) because I can now drive normally on roads where previously I would have to crawl on 1st gear to avoid scratching the bottom cover. Now ride is stable, yet not too stiff, car looks good, so it really is a very good upgrade for your TI
Thank you your recommendation, it sure is a good choice!
Cheers

Last edited by Exocet; 20-06-16 at 15:51.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Maybe your Bilsteins are not fully seated in the collar. Can you do a picture of the lower seating?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Maybe your Bilsteins are not fully seated in the collar. Can you do a picture of the lower seating?
Hello Old Engineer,
What makes you think there might be a problem? Everything seems fine to me.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I had a similar thing on my G. The Garage that fitted the shocks originally didn't fit them inside the lower collar fully. I ended up with the front around 15mm higher than it should have been.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I had a similar thing on my G. The Garage that fitted the shocks originally didn't fit them inside the lower collar fully. I ended up with the front around 15mm higher than it should have been.
Thanks for warning! I compared ride height to Brera and it seemed ok (a bit lower, and Brera has twice the mileage and 2 OEM springs). I was also told that after springs will settle in car may drop by about 1 cm, so getting close to declared value of 30mm lowering from about 38 cm of standard height. Honestly, I would prefer it does not get much lower, as currently it seems to be a good balance between ride quality and usability on variety of roads.
But I will take a look and let you know. Wouldn't they find it out while checking alignment and geometry (it was done in other garage)? Or can you tell the difference while driving (vibrations or maybe you can hear some noise or something else)?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Hello Old Engineer,
What makes you think there might be a problem? Everything seems fine to me.
I have pictures of the problem.
AO Member

Garage
So I've read this thread and I'm unfortunately thinking of also pimping my car with a suspension kit.

I'm pretty much, from J's experience, thinking of getting the same, i.e. Sportiva pack from Alfisti.

I just wanted to make sure it would apply to my car also, as mine (1750 petrol TB Ti), I assume slightly lighter than those horrid heavy engine block, black cloud emitting 'who called a taxi' diesels

I essentially don't want it any lower than it is, Ti suspension is already low enough, but I want that firmer 'planted' ride and breathe more easily over speed bumps. Will measure current wheel arch heights and clearance over the weekend.

It's a 2010 plate, with just 50k on the clock, haven't found out yet if there is a suspension problem (its at Avanti Autos now, having aircon and spade investigation, but either way, fancy an upgrade.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Unless you just swap the dampers, you are always going to change the ride height slightly, but Eibachs do seem pretty close!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , bilstein or eibach , prokit , suspension , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page