New New 159 1.9JTDM - Pro's, Con's and Help Needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West London
New New 159 1.9JTDM - Pro's, Con's and Help Needed

Hi all,

I finally got my 159 Lusso Saloon in Silver. I'm averaging 51.2MPG on the long runs and 40 MPG (ish) in the town since purchase at the start of December. This is a massive improvement on my Alfa 147 Collezione and I am impressed. How do others fair?

I bought the car having just had the cambelt service as well as a new clutch and the car is as smooth as you like and the styling trumps my 147 inside and out. It is also in a different class to all the German stuff on the roads - in terms of aesthetics anyway.

I'm just about to give it my own service when the snow buggers off. What added things should I look to do besides the filters and oil changes? I have read about EGR cleaning and possibly fitting a blanking plate. Is this something people would recommend and if so is there a thread that tells me what to do? I found the thread about cheap things to do very useful this week.

I have had one issue so far and I suspect, according to my research that it is the DPF or EGR. If I get stuck in traffic for a long time or I'm crawling about, when I gradually move up to 5th or 6th I get some hesitation which I can feel in the cabin. As soon as I move down the gears and give it a blast there is no problem. I must also mention that this has happened twice and not since I first got the car. To combat it, I have been sticking to lower gears in the town i.e. avoiding 5th under 45mph for example. I also did a diesel cleaning treatment. Can anybody confirm my suspicions? As I say no issues since.

I also discovered that the 159 is a great snow-mobile. Drove from London to Liverpool last night and all sorts of cars were abandoned. The 159 had no problems and I always felt in great control.

If anyone can provide any links to mechanical how-to guides I'd appreciate it.

Edit: well not 'new new' just new and a 2008 model.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Yep, give the EGR a good clean out (just done mine, and the solenoid side needs cleaning too), then fit a restrictor plate (unless you map it, the full plate with give you an error).

For cleaning out this thread has a great guide (same engine in the 147).

This thread goes into a bit more detail on EGR's and blanking.

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Last edited by giblets46; 26-01-13 at 22:20.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 26-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West London
Thanks for this. I think I'll be giving this a go!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19jtdm , con , needed , pro