Cracked it. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Jag XE on order

Cracked it.

Only gone and got a crack in the windscreen, starts from the bottom and has three vertical cracks about 6 - 12 inchs long, can only assume the cold weather is to blame.

My question is who do I get to replace it?

The current screen does not seem to have a perfect curve, the drivers side wiper always needs adjustment in order to make full contact with the screen and even then it is not perfect.
not to mention them blinking bits of plastic that stick out in the bottom corner and just get stuck back down with mastic.

Obviously my insurance will send out a preferred technician (ha technician) but I have had a problem with every screen i've had fitted be it car or van, can I get another company of my choice to replace the screen and get the insurance to pay them (or refund me after i've paid) or am I restricted to there preffered company?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
I think your restricted to their company mate as they get heavily discounted rates. I imagine your only chance would be to ask for them to reimburse you what they would have paid their "technicians" And that's a long shot I'd imagine
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Contact your insurer or check your policy before you arrange replacement. They will have a contract with one of the replacement companies and will want you to use them. They may not pay up if you use someone else.

I had to replace a screen on my old X type Jag, my then insurers had a contact with Auto Windscreens who sorted it. I think you will only get a pattern replacement, dont think they will fit original Alfa glass. Not such a problem with Alfas but my Jag had a heated screen and the replacement was nothing like as good as the original.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider