Unsteady, fluctuating water temp guage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Unsteady, fluctuating water temp guage

I realise the cold weather at the moment might be doing weird things to cars, but in the past few days, I have noticed that the temp guage on my 159 2.4 Lusso is very dependant on the engine revs.....I had to sit in a traffic jam due to a big accident on an A road recently and was crawling and stopping for about an hour.....in which time, the outside temp display was reading -6C and my water temp guage was reading almost zero....as soon as I started to pick up speed, the water temp guage started to rise....slowed down again and down went the guage.....

This morning was slightly less cold, although it was still a very chilly -1C. And again, the same thing.....low speeds or at idle, almost zero temp reading....speed up and up it went....and this was even after the car HAD actually got to full temp after about 15 mins at 60mph or so.....

My question is....is this normal? Personally, would like to see it when its a little warmer, but as its so cold, I am wondering if its doing weird things, or is my engine about to go bang? It runs fine, pulls like a train.....can't fault it. Apart from that temp guage....

Any ideas would be most welcome.....

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Very simple, not normal, it is possible that there is something wrong with the temperature gauge or the thermostat

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

engine , fluctuating , fluctuation , guage , temp , temperature , unsteady , water