Brera 2.4jtdm rough idle FIXED!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm

Brera 2.4jtdm rough idle FIXED!!!!

Finally! After 7months I have the Brera running just how she should!! Some of you may remember my woes.. Appalling tickover from cold, but also randomly from warm start too. No real pattern to it and it got so bad that the belts started squealing Also had a strong smell from the tailpipes. She would barely hang on to running at all.

Dealership had checked for codes, replaced EGR, and a suspect injector but no improvement. Basically they quickly ran out of ideas and then my 6month warranty was up.

3 weeks ago I had limp mode twice in 4 days, followed by a dash warning to the effect of "Particulate filter clogged" so that forced my hand. The DPF removal was done in the hope that it would cure my issue. The car drives 200% better now. No lag. Smoother. Quicker. More low down torque... but still poor tickover

I decided to pull everything appart and see just how "clogged" the system was. It was clear from the state of the DPF at 40k that the fuelling was incorrect somehow. So maybe it was an airflow issue? I spoke to a mechanic mate of mine, and before pulling pipes, cleaning throttle body, manifold etc.. We decided to be methodical and check the air filter first and work along the induction track. The car had a "full service" when I got her 7months ago so we expected nothing to be wrong there...

Well the air filter was probably the original one (57plate). Full of flies, grit, oil and dirt. Also it was FULL of water and ice!! Not a lot of breathing going on there we thought, so we replaced it. My Brera now runs like new! No rough idle at all. It's so embarrassingly obvious in hindsight, but I trusted the dealership to have done the service. Their lies have cost them around 40hrs of their own time, the warranty company around 700 in total, and me a very stressfull 7months. All fixed for 19.75+vat and some common sense

All I can say to people with similar issues is start simple, and don't trust anything that you haven't seen with your own eyes. I have always loved the car despite its problem, but now I LOVE my car!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Good work! Might be worth checking in a couple of weeks to see if any more water has gotten in there though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

24jtdm , brera , fixed , idle , rough