glow plug issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tipperary
glow plug issue

Hi. Unlike other posters who have a message coming up on their display saying 'pre-heating unavailable' I seem to have no glow plugs operating at all with no warning message on the display and no glowplug warning light comes up on the dash either. The car has new glowplugs fitted, I have checked the wiring and with fiatECUscan connected I am able to operate the glowplug relay but they are definitely not working as on occasion the car can take quite a few turns before it fires. The car is a 08 1.9 150bhp jtdm, its seems a strange issue to me but the car is working away so I supposed I'm sort of resigned to the fault just being there! No faults stored in the car either. Any ideas or opinions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
County: -

Member car:

It isn't quite right to assume they're not working just because the car sometimes doesn't start very well.

I would connect a voltmeter to the glowplug contact first and see if they're getting power when they're supposed to be, then yoiu can eliminate the relay and associated components and consider another reason.

Does the glowplug heating light come on when yoiu first switch on the ignition ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tipperary
I can only assume that there is a glowplug control issue as the warning light does not come on at all when the ignition is turned on. I activated the glowplug relay with fiatECUscan and there are no stored faults in any of the ECUs. I have not checked for voltage at the glowplugs, I must do that but I have my doubts that the glowplugs are getting juice. I'll check for definite on monday when I get back to work. cheers for the input.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

glow , issue , plug