Car starts, then cuts off...need alfa experts!
I'm hoping someone on here can be a genius and see what they think about the following problem.
Alfa Brera 2.4 JTDM - car started, but cut out almost immediately. This happened about 6x before eventually get the car going. I kept the car going by holding the revs around 3k and waiting for the white smoke to clear and the car to idle properly. This was a temporary fix, and when next starting the car - the same again happened - after limping home, eventually the car didn't start at all.
Trip to garage - they reported the following: "we have no idea what’s wrong with your car - please pay us £300 for the following work/investigating:
1) Changed fuel filter (had a cup full of water)
2) Cleaned egr valve
3) No fault codes
4) Crank sensor tested
5) Cam sensor tested
6) Old fuel removed, new fuel inserted (fear of petrol in diesel)
7) Checked operation of flaps inside inlet manifold
8) All readings ok - air flow, fuel ratio, glow plugs etc.
9) Injectors are receiving fuel
10) Injectors have signal from ECU
11) Air flow meter works ok
12) Car is giving message DPF filter clogged, checked with software - 85% clogged
13) Primary fuel pump works ok, pressure tested
After all this testing, no clue. Only thing left is educated guessing, the best guesses are:
1) High pressure fuel pump faulty
2) New DPF filter (although mechanic thinks car should still start at 85%, just wouldn’t like it)