Suspect EGR fault ? A quick test... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 07-01-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Suspect EGR fault ? A quick test...

It seems there's no definitive way to tell if yoiu have an EGR fault or if yoiu are going to need to remove it to check it, or worse still pay someone else to do it.

Here's one viable way to check if a faulty EGR is responsible for poor running.

Cut a thin sheet from a drinks can, 40-45mm wide and at least as long (Using scissors - remember to ask a grownup for help )
sheet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Loosen these two bolts bolts1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! enough to create a small gap, here bolts2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is the EGR exhaust inlet pipe which will move downwards, once the bolts are slackened pipe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Then install the sheet between the bottom of the EGR, in the gap created, so that it sits over the mouth of the exhaust inlet pipe finished | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ...and tighten the bolts once again.

Now go for a drive. The engine warning light will light during the third or fourth journey with the plate in place, so you should remove it before the thrid journey. OR you can leave it in place for further testing and allow the light to come on, and once the plate is then removed the light will go off again by itself after 5-10 drive cycles have been completed

This procedure will also let you know how the car will perform with an EGR delete.

Last edited by FixitSan; 07-01-13 at 20:34.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
This is exactly what I was going to do tonight to test if my Egr valve was sticking but I decided to take it off and clean it but I may still give it a go in the short term as a test.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

egr , fault , quick , suspect , test