Battery charge through 'cigar lighter' socket - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Rutland

Member car:

Blue spider

Battery charge through 'cigar lighter' socket

Does anyone know if the socket is on/live when ignition switched off - my battery almost flat (3rd occasion- only out on sunny days) so thinking about a trickle charger via 12v ' lighter' socket. Two questions - first is it feasible and secondly, if so, what charger is recommended by our readers?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
It is not live with the ignition off.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
I have an Optimate on my bike all year round and it keeps the battery in perfect condition all year round. I have had mine for around 10 years now and never had a problem. It has also been used to resurrect batteries which were thought ready for the scrap heap (sorry, responsible recycling) as well.

The type of Optimate required will depend on the Ah of the battery. Just bought an Optimate 5 for my Mother-in-Laws 110Ah caravan battery from a Honda main dealer via eBay so came Honda branded but was about half the cost

You can either attach it to the battery using the standard 'croccodile clips' or fit the supplied plug in socket which makes life much easier
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Sportswagon.

I keep meaning to test the power socket in the boot which only the sportswagons have, I have been told that they say live.

If the new battery drains then that will be the first thing I will try. If not I will be looking for a live cable to cut into which isn't turned off.

AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
I use a solar charger which I bought from Maplins on my LR Discovery, has crocodile clips to connect onto battery. Works very well topping up battery whenever there is solar radiation. Have left car for weeks before now and always starts on the button.
County: -

Member car:

The crocodile clip to the battery version, as Phillh suggests would be my choice too.

For a permanent solution you can hardwire the existing socket to a permanent 12V supply, as long as there's a fuse in line and you don't forget to remove any accessories when you park !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

battery , charge , cigar , lighter , socket