Hids on the way! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Nicosia

Member car:

Spider 2.2

Originally Posted by FixitSan View Post
You could try adding a second set of inline capacitors. like those in the link above.

Car Connector > Capacitior 1 > Capacitor 2 > HIDs

Disconnect one HID kit and use it's capacitor for testing the other HID kit

If you get the problem with one capcitor on a single HID kit, but not two capcitors on a single HID kit then you have a fix
Thanks i ll try to connect the two capacitors on one 1 hid and put a standard bulb on the other just for test.

I may remove them alltogether if this is the case as I wouldn't want to have inline 2 capacitors as they take up some place and the engine bay wouldn't be that tidy
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member

Worth a read if you are contemplating a conversion. Not sure anyone has ever been prosecuted succesfully.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 62
County: Greater Manchester
saw that one a while back. it keeps referring to reflector style headlamp units, while the 159 of course has projector style lamps. anyone know if you get a 159 with OEM HIDs, are the units completely different to the normal projectors?

as for getting prosecuted i'd say you'd be extremely unlucky. more and more cars now have HIDs so they don't stick out as much, and on a decent looking modern car like a 159 nobody bats an eylid. dodgy old corsas with 8000k purple ones in reflector housings, on the other hand...
County: -

Member car:

Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post

Worth a read if you are contemplating a conversion. Not sure anyone has ever been prosecuted succesfully.

The information sheet pertains mostly to the headlamp unit. It doesn't seem unfeasible to retrofit manufacturer made xenon units (as some 159/Brera's had) in order to comply at least in part with the regulation - the stipulation that they must be ECE98 marked

As for the additional requirement for cleaning and self levelling the information sheets states the vehicle should be able to reach ECE 48 standard but
when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place);
Presumably the anticipated inspection might have been an independent examination of one of the vehicles concerned. I wonder if this becomes an overarching principle when original manufacturer made xenon headlamp units are installed. (IE, if it's a manufacturer made unit then no inspection will occur)

The requirement for washing and self levelling does seem to be important, but I wonder when an examination of those features would take place - certainly not at the MOT where only beam pattern is concentrated upon.

In terms of a police stop,most police officers will be satisfied if the headlights are not causing an undue hazard to other road users. That leaves roadside VOSA examinations. We do get a few of these in my area each year (chavs in Corsa's with wheels so big they rub the wheel arches), but they only inspect between 9-5, Monday to Friday here.

My personal view is that while the information provided by the dft is well intentioned we don't live in a state where the intention of government is to insist on compliance with every law where someone seems to be going about their business in a reasonable manner. At the worst I think if a police officer wanted to, and in force areas where vehicle defect rectification schemes are still operational, then the worst that can happen is that yoiu will be asked to change back to standard bulbs.

I cannot see a day when any member of the CPS would consider wasting expensive court time on someone who has merely 'accidentally' fitted what some consider to be incorrect lightbulbs. If the driver says "I had no idea, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will now make necessary changes" then that will be the end of it.

As further precautions, if the driver carried the original bulbs in the glovebox (not as a 'just in case' precaution, because that is almost like admitting knowledge of an offence, but simply because they had forgotten to dispose of them) then the driver could put up his hands, suddenly 'remember' he might have the original bulbs in the glovebox....and when the courts are full of people who implanted a beer glass into a stranger's face i doubt a court appearance, nor even a fine would ever be issued.

Remember, laws on scientific matters are rarely made by scientists....manufacturers are responsible for certifying their own eqipment, so a member of public who rightly believes he is improving his own safety by fitting HIDs and takes enough care not to affect others when they do so, isn't 'satan' in the eyes of the law.

Last edited by FixitSan; 13-01-13 at 12:19.
(Post Link) post #30 of 30 Old 13-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

alfa 159 1.9jtd

To be honest I had to have my break pads fitted, as well as wind deflectors and hids.. All in labour was 60.. He's done a professional job so I'm happy. I know I would've messed it all up..!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider