Leaking fuel injectors? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-12 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
Leaking fuel injectors?

Hi this is my first post - I was hoping it would be something more positive!

Last month I purchased a 159 2.4jtdm and, on the way home, it went into 'limp mode' which I hadn't experienced in a car before (never had a motor that had a computer brain!). Not a good start I thought!!

The garage took it back from me and subsequently a faulty fuel injector was diagnosed. This was replaced and I got the car back last week. However I have now noticed that there are pools of diesel covering the injectors. When I run the engine I can't see any obvious leaks. Furthermore the bottom of the fuel filter appears to be damp.

Does this sound like the injector(s) haven't been refitted correctly or is it likely to be a new issue? Also are these two issues going to be linked?

You may have already guessed that I am no mechanic!

It's a pity as I love the 159 (I've had two previous Alfa's over the years so am aware that they can be painful and frustrating to own.)

Any comments would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

Just had this exact same problem with my 1.9

Injector 4 had developed a leak, which initially only showed up as a damp patch on the rocker cover around the injector.
after about 3-4 weeks it had turned into a large damp patch with lots and lots of crap built up around the injector.
On close inspection it was leaking from the seal where the top of the injector screws onto the main body.

It was a massive PITA to change as the leaking fuel had run down the side of the injector and dried out and gummed up, effectivly gluing the injector in place, my mechanic (brother in law) used a proper injector remover but it required such force that it dented the rocker cover!!!

Get them checked out sooner rather than later, I bought a replacement off ebay for 70 and after some initial trouble with coding the ecu it's now running like a dream again.

I guess if the garage have already done some work on the injectors and replaced 1 they might not have retightened them properly causing blow by, If this is the case then a fire is probably quite likely, if it's the seals that are leaking then I had not trouble other than noise (it sounded like a tractor) and excessive fuel use.

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 08-12-12 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Thanks for the info. I have put a call into the garage this afternoon but 'my man' isn't in until tomorrow so I shall let him know what the issue is and see what response I get. I must admit after the injector was replaced it showed some impressive grunt (even if it wasn't fully sealed etc) so can't imagine what they go like when fully tuned up!

I did notice though that the mpg indicator on the trip was going haywire showing anything from 9-99.99mpg?! Don't know if this is linked to the issue?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

fuel , injectors , leaking