My Alfa ownership saga - conclusion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 30-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
My Alfa ownership saga - conclusion

Some of you may be aware that I purchased a Spider that developed several problems within the first 48 hours of ownership. It was not a great start to Alfa ownership and there were times when I was ready to reject the car and buy another marque that was more reliable.

However, I was determined to see things through and prepared a very long list of issues to be resolved with the dealer who sold me the car. I must give credit where credit is due and the service manager managed the list and kept me informed of progress with regular updates.

Every single item on my list was resolved eventually. I've just received the proper Alfa warranty and AA breakdown cover details in the post.

The primary issues were the 'have engine checked' light and the alarm which would re-arm itself when the car was unlocked. The engine light was a timing chain issue. The timing chain and tensioners were replaced. The alarm issue proved to be more tricky to resolve and was eventually traced to a body computer that was replaced.

I have received literally dozens of pages of printouts and paperwork from the dealer. The battery was checked and confirmed as okay. The hood flapping at high speeds and a hood rattle were resolved. The full multi-point inspection was carried out again. The software on the car was updated. The mats were replaced with new genuine Alfa Spider mats. A steering wheel judder was fixed by rebalancing the front wheels. And, as mentioned previously, a new warranty and breakdown cover were provided.

I'm finally enjoying the car and enjoying pampering it. It has rekindled my enthusiasm for cars.

So, a lot of anger and stress for a couple of weeks was all worth it in the end. The car has had two weeks of TLC from the master tech at the dealership. Numerous parts have been replaced and the vehicle has been extensively road tested.

A happy ending, and a big thanks to the many people who helped out on this forum.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alfa , conclusion , ownership , saga