Gas Struts for Brera Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Gas Struts for Brera Spider

Hi All,

Today I am suffering from a serious case of 'open wallet surgery'.

The last few months when I retract the roof on my Spider when the rear window section comes over the roll bars it had starting scraping the top and this has got worse to the point where it sometimes gets stuck and needs some manual intervention to open the roof.

So I think this must be a simple adjustment to the roof needed and take it to my local Alfa service centre in Chatswood NSW and I have been told today that it's a problem with the gas struts and they are going to charge me the princly sum of $1300 to replace and fit.

This is a major expense, they said it's a common problem with the roof mechanism and they also said I need all 4 struts replacing?.

I dont really know why I felt the need to tell you all about this, but feel happy to respond, Am i being suckered by my service centre, does that price sound about right and has anyone else has the same type of problem on their Spider?.

Thanks for listening to my rant, I am off the the bank manager now to beg for a temporary overdraft to pay for it.....

Last edited by mockney46; 24-10-12 at 04:08.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Alessandria
My roof rubs too, but not as bad as yours. I was told the problem could be corrected by adjusting the two springs controlling the tension on one of the top bows, but that it was a big job since the mechanism is not only complicated but fixing it required a lot of dis-assembly and reassembly. However, the mechanic didn't indicate any parts were required.

Of course, this could all be wrong. I'm a foreigner living in Italy, so I don't always properly translate the language. Plus, the Italian language is sometimes not very precise, so "springs" could have very well meant "gas struts".

Anyway, I haven't tackled repairing the top myself (yet) so I don't know what lies behind the fabric, but I did install a couple of little wooden wedges on the back glass so that it will slide over the roll hoops without catching. I attached them with black duct tape, covered the rubbing surfaces with duct tape, and lubricated them with a dab of light silicone oil. I also put a small piece of tape on top the roll hoops so the silver trim is less likely to be snagged by the top. The top still rubs, but opens and closes smoothly without that horrible TWANG as the edge of the glass catches and finally springs free of the roll hoop. The problem is not fixed but the major symptom is eliminated and the likelihood of causing damage is reduced.

If you do learn more about this common problem and how to fix it, please report back.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 28-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

It sounds like you have a much better understanding of the roof mechanism than myself as your able to do a 'quick fix'. I was advised by the garage that the struts had failed and I have replaced them and the roof is now functioning perfectly once again. It ended up costing me $700 for part and $350 labour for the job.

The garage did show me the gas struts that had been taken off my car and they when compressed they seemed very slow to return and one of them was completely perished so it looks like they got the problem spot on.

I just hope I dont have to go spending anymore on the car over the next few months. Anyway at least i can put the roof down in confidence again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , gas , spider , struts