Is a pollen filter really needed? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Is a pollen filter really needed?

Just removed my pollen filter from my '06 159. Black and lots of small leaf debris.

Fitting the new one (genuine) is really fiddly and I'm a bit over it.

Here in Australia, our summers get really hot. I've put all back together (without the pollen filter) and the air flow is fantastic - will make the aircon more easily cool the cabin.

So, is the pollen filter purely for health / comfort benefit, or does a play a role in looking after the internals of the cabin air tubing? I figure with the window down, I am breathing the same air as the pollen filter is filtering, so a I am not that concerned from a health / comfort point of view.

If not essential, I will leave out and enjoy a much cooler Aussie summer.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
in the 80's my dads cars would get leaves and all sorts blowing in through the vents... pretty sure he never had the filters in some of those cars!

depends if you want grit in your teeth, yes that did happen sometimes... around London!
AO Member
County: Alessandria
Your AC system has a radiator-like device called an evaporator. Very cold refrigerant flows into and out of this device in much the same way as coolant flows through your engine cooling system. The the AC fan blows air across this evaporator much like the engine fan draws air through your engine cooling radiator. The evaporator extracts heat from the air which produces cold air for the cabin. If you don't filter the air going through this evaporator, all the gunk you saw in your pollen filter will coat your evaporator and soon the cooling efficiency will drop way off. Of course, you could clean it every few months, but that job is WAY more difficult than maintaining the filter.

My advice, use the filter.
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Brera 1750Tbi Ti

Agreed. Just leave it on mate. The filter absorbs pollutants as well. Great when you're behind a bus or old car with smog emitting. It shouldn't affect the intake flow dramatically and I believe the cabin ventilation was designed with the filter incorporated.
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by sanman View Post
Just removed my pollen filter from my '06 159. Black and lots of small leaf debris.

... I've put all back together (without the pollen filter) and the air flow is fantastic
Mainly because your old one was blocked... probably not been changed for years, possibly ever.
AO Silver Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Alfa do an Air Conditioing Bomb (that's what it said on the service receipt!). Essentially it's regas, new pollen filter plus some chemical bomb which requires 50 miles at max coldness. Air conditioing smells great afterwards!!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

filter , needed , pollen