Are our ECU's "self-learning"? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Brera 1750Tbi Ti

Are our ECU's "self-learning"?

I recently had to do a dealer reset of the ECU, as the climate control quietly packed up. Having done that, I found that the throttle response and the whole car in general felt more responsive and eager. Flooring the throttle saw a very nice shove in the back.

Wondering if this has got to do with the self-learning or fuzzy logic nature of the ECU? As it stands, I've not been doing much miles and usually creeping in traffic. If that's the case, I'd probably need to either go for more runs on the weekend, or do an ECU reset every 3 months or so.

Or perhaps, its merely placebo as the courtesy car for the day was a 1.4Tb Mito which although was very eager and fun to drive (nice rorty soundtrack as well), but wasn't as refined and responsive as the 1750TBi.
Sponsored Links
County: -

Member car:

They self learn, yes. it's been a common feature of ECU's for years and was implemented to allow the car to cope with constantly changing circumstances.

After doing any work on my engine and associated components, say, cleaning a dirty sensor, I always do a reset. Technically speaking it isn't always required, the self learning nature means the ECU firmwar will find it's own way to accommodate the new input values. But, it might take a while for it to do that.

Last edited by FixitSan; 18-10-12 at 06:59.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

ecu , selflearning