Alfa 159 auto gearbox - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Alfa 159 auto gearbox

Hello fellow Alfa-nuts!

I'm the proud owner of an new Alfa 159 (3.2 q4 - and yes, they sell 2012 159's in Dubai). Loving the car and how people just stare at it, completely mesmerized with its gorgeous shape!

I do have a question though - is it normal for the auto gearbox to feel clunky at low gears? While driving in stop-start traffic, the gears literally thud into place! I asked a mechanic at Gargash and he told me it was normal for the car to be that way - although I wasn't entirely convinced. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

P.s. I'm driving the 159 in Dubai at the moment where Alfa 159's are as rare as they come!

Last edited by zac_j; 13-10-12 at 16:40.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Brera 1750Tbi Ti

I don't ever recall ever feeling it clunky in my 2.4 JTD. Does it behave the same if you used Manual mode?
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
A little notchy sometimes although now and again, it can feel klunky from cold but only briefly. I'd be worried if it did it all the time. Checking gearbox oil yourself is not an easy option as there is no dipstick.. Changing the oil means a reset of the gearbox I think. As the oil is not cheap I found that this was an expensive option just to be "safe". I did end up getting the gearbox oil changed and reset but this was part of what was needed when I had a new engine fitted. Gear changes have been fine since but I've only done 1500 Kms.

Not sure if this helps though...
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 14-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
I have noticed its a lot smoother in the Triptronic mode.

If the gear oil does need changing then I might as well get the garage to do it for me(warranty covers me for 5 years on everything!)

In true Alfa fashion - Ive found that the radiator fluid was a bit low after about 4000KM, so took it to the garage as a precaution. They find a leak in the radiator (brand new car!!) and they ended up having to replace the whole damn thing! Ive noticed that the radiator fluid is still below min and Im gonna have to take it back to them again.

I'm guessing this is the part where you REALLY learn to love an Alfa?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , auto , gearbox