159SW Ti winter tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-10-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

159SW Ti winter tyres

I live in Luxembourg and I am legally obliged to get winter tyres this year so need some recommendations for what to get (balance between price and performance). I've given some thought to the idea of a second set of wheels so I don't have to pay through the nose for tyres and can swap them back when I want to (i.e. if we get a warm snap for a few weeks).

Is this reasonable? Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
After noticing the difference winter tyres made to our 156 last year, I am going to do the same for the 159. It wasn't the snow performance that was most impressive, it was the lack of sliding on wet/frozen roads early in the morning. The 156 is easy - you can pick up a set of teledials for peanuts...

I am slowly assembling a set of TI alloys - trying to avoid paying 250 a pop for the wheels. When it comes to tyres, Falken do a tyre for a scratch under 200, which seems reasonable. Falken are a good make, so probably can be trusted.

It will also settle the Accelera argument for me. If the car is transformed by different tyres, I won't be getting Acceleras again. If (on a warm day) the new tyre performance is no different, then I will stick with the Acceleras as summer tyres.

Last edited by rxe; 08-10-12 at 09:44. Reason: speling
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Hi there,

I went for a second set of 17'' inch wheels. Got originals from Italy (thank you auction site) and put 215/55/17'' on them. Size of the wheel now virtually identical to 19''. I took Nokians (g something) and are quite happy about them. Were driven in famous 2010/2011 winter for around 2k of constant ice and snow (famous German autobahns - ski slopes that year) and passed the exam. Good choice of rubber available in relatively ok price (everything after 19" will seem like a good price these days...)
AO Member
County: Brasov

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

Originally Posted by atlaz View Post
Is this reasonable? Any recommendations?
Lots of threads on the subject, do a search.
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
I got a spare set of 17" Brera wheels, and Dunlop WinterSport 3D tyres. No complaints. The only comment I can make about the grip is after rounding a tight corner on an icy road one morning, the car following me four-wheel slid straight ahead into a ditch.

Apart from that, it really wasn't a harsh winter in England, and I have no comparison of other tyres, so it's difficult to make a recommendation. I've taken the approach that as I'll be keeping the car for at least five years, then a set of winter tyres is just another set of tyres, and the only extra capital expense is a set of second hand rims.

Inspirational, Celebrational, Muppetational....
AO Platinum Member
A set of 17" wheels should be quite cheap and those plus 17" winter tyres will probably cost less than a set of 19" winter tyres and will perform better as well.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
I've currently fit some 17" 159 multis on my Ti fitted with 225/50/17 Conti Winter Contact TS790s. Very good price for some as new part worns 6-7mm...bargains to be had out there! Just need to look for them!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159sw , tyres , winter