A theory forms .. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-09-12 Thread Starter
County: Surrey

Member car:

Mito TB (155)

A theory forms ..

While considering a second hand Brera and reading these threads, I am at the beginning of forming a theory that contradicts popular logic ...

Normally, when buying secong hand, one would tend to avoid the higher mileage cars ...

But in the case of a secong hand AR, this might not be the most sensible choice?

Bear with me here ...

Perhaps a higher mileage means the car has performed well, and provided the previous owner(s) with enjoyable, problem free, driving, rather then having spent half it's life in the garage or being owned by people afraid to drive it.

Am I on to something?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

No, not really. You need to look at the history of the car and see what has been replaced and when. The components tend to have a lifespan and it is just different driving conditions that promote different wear rates. Do your research so you know what goes wrong with them and then get the lowest mileage car you can afford that is also in good condition with good history.
AO Member
County: Norfolk
No your not lol .... Anything that's broke would of been fixed under warranty .... And is probably
Due to break again ... Without warranty, I've made this mistake for you ! Just my experience !
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Looking at it realistically with all cars reliability these days is fairly consistent.

As a whole car, its failure rates follow a 'bathtub curve'. Parts will generally fail early due to some manufacturing or assembly issues. These items generally get sorted out under warranty. Later at 100,000+ miles the major wear items will be at the end of their life. Between these two extremes the failure rates are fairly uniform and will depend mainly on specific areas where some of the components are known to have a shorter life and get replaced. Its generally a much better bet to get a car that has been well looked after and serviced regularly. This applies to Alfas more than most cars.

A second hand car's mileage is less of an issue unless you intend keeping it for so long its likely to reach 100,000 miles. At any time before 100,000 miles or ten years you can expect to have to replace some parts irrespective of the mileage.

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I suppose you need to keep into account that some components will break/wear anyway.
The best advice that I feel like giving on the matter is to get a warranty policy that covers wear and tear as well, if you want to have some bad surprises.

Apart for drivetrain, engine and ancillaries, you can appreciate that a car with a lot of miles on the clock surely has some body wear and tear to be taken into account as well: panels loosen, components rust... especially in this country, whose weather seems to put to serious test all sorts of cars!
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Much depends on the amount of time taken to accrue those miles. A lot of miles in a relatively short time implies 'hot miles', I.e. the engine spends relatively more time up at temperature, and probably relatively lightly loaded whilst sitting on the motorway. This is far better for a car than relatively fewer miles travelled on stop-start journeys around town.

I tend to look for other indications as to the 'real' age of the car, rather than mileage and age.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

forms , theory