Window problem on 159 Lusso - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 13-09-12 Thread Starter
County: Greater Manchester
Crazed Window problem on 159 Lusso

Hi everyone,
My son bought a 2007, 159 Lusso from the auctions last night. He fell in love with it the minute he saw it.

He was made up with it but when we went to drive off the site, the drivers window dropped down. Our hearts dropped through the floor.

Can anyone tell me what is likely to be the problem. we haven't got around to taking the panel off yet, it was too dark when we got home.
I haven't been able to sleep for thinking that he might have bought a white elephant instead of a gorgeus looking Lusso.

Obviously the first thing is the door panel, is it easily removed?
If it's a motor or runners problem, are they expensive?

Look forward to hearing from you, I'd best try and get some sleep and look at it while he is at work.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
I know an auto electrician who told me that he has done a few 159's that did that. He said its usually the motor.
Get on eBay and have a look...
I'd have a proper look to determine its the motor before buying one though...
AO Member
County: Highlands
Had this problem recently it turned out there was a problem with the window regulator one and a half hrs work under warranty hope this helps.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

159 SW 3.2 Q4 Ti

Replaced my rear window motor myself, fairly easy job, part from Alfa romeo cost 95 inc vat...
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 14-09-12 Thread Starter
County: Greater Manchester
Hi Guys,
I stripped down the window panel, part way, something was stopping me from taking the main steel plate completely out.
I removed the two pieces of wood that had held the window up when we bought the car from the auction.......grrrrrrrrrrr.
I found that a cable had corroded and snapped........why had it corroded in one spot?
I tried to buy just the cable, without success, so I bought a regulator for 55 off the internet.
Thanks for your replies, I look forward to reading some further posts...the one on windows IT has already helped me.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Snapped cables are fairly common due mainly to the small radius pulleys and degree of bending they have to cope with. Not specifically an Alfa problem and common to all makes, early failures do occur but most last over 10 years. There was only one supplier for the cable in Europe, (Kűster Germany) but now more than likely its sourced from China.

Cables on their own are not serviceable. Re-winding the cable-drum without some tooling is a nightmare. So buying a window regulator is the only option.

Last edited by Sunbar; 14-09-12 at 10:05.
County: Antrim
Hi guys. And ladies. I am new so please bear with me. Just got my new toy. Q4 3.2. tI. Sw.

The window warning light Amber on the dash cluster ( safety feature not working) rear back window. Is this something I can re set, I know the car had a new battery just 2 weeks ago, could this waning linked ?

The dealer I got the car from cleared this light which came on on the test drive. Was fine all day. If easy to re set I will do it, save me trip back to dealer .
AO Member
County: Tipperary
This is a complete fudge, but that happens the odd time in my Brera. If you press and hold the lock button on your keys the windows will go up. It seems to reset this problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , lusso , problem , window