New Tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-12 Thread Starter
County: Portugal
Thumbs Up New Tyres

Hello all!!
Well, my Bella needed new shoes...
I know tyres are old posts, but i would like to share my humble opinion.
Ando so, yesterday she went to put 4 new Conti 5. The shoes she was wearing were 2 Pirelli Nero at front and 2 Michelin at the back. The pic is from the "good" rear tyre (sorry about the quality...), so you can imagine the front ones.... I must say that the wear was even across the tyre in all 4 ones, no excessive wear in the inside, probably due to a well done alignment done before.... I say this because the car cames with these tyres, and only now i had to change then, so the previous owner had to put a set, or at least 2 of them in it...
The guy that instaled my tyres, and that i know for about 13 years (at a nice price, i must say...) instantly said to me that the well alignment would be slighty different from stock at the front due to excessive internal wear. Well, thatīs a pro ....He knows this cars.
I must be honest and say that i always put Contis since i bought my old Alfa 156 in 2004. I simply love them, and i used many other brands. And after assembly and a 4 well alignment, done proply, i took off, and soon the typical Conti feeling came to surface. The car was slipery, due to that layer on the surface of the tyre. Well, thatīs a excuse to make a few km to "scrub" the surface.... And so i did. Went in the afertnoon for a drive and did arround 300km. The tyre is beggining to "change". Now they have more grip, they are very silent, a nice surprise, and they are getting better and better.... I might do a kind of diary for them, to see their evolution and duration.
My gol is to do 30 to 40K wilth them, as they are expensive. Letīs wait and see....
Anyway, any opinion is welcome!!

Good revīs for all!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new.JPG (43.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg old.JPG (40.4 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I hope you manage to make them last longer than they have on my 2.2JTS.I'm afraid my Conti 5s were down to 3mm after 12300 miles (including front to back swap) which is the same wear rate as the original Potenzas!
I managed over 15,000 miles on Rossos but am enjoying Primacy HPs at present.They are quiet and grippy,wet or dry and,I hope longer lasting.
I'll be very interested to hear if you notice a fall off in grip and turn in at around 8000 miles.The Romanian manufactured Conti 5s were terrific when new and wore very evenly.Nearly all my miles were on fast European motorways.Perhaps that's why they didn't last.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
I really rate Continental tyres too.

I would have put them on my Golf, but got a good deal on some Dunlops, which are also great.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 16-09-12 Thread Starter
County: Portugal
symon, Dunlops are good, very good even. My father has ones mounted in is Pug and he loves them.
Sir Baloney, for personal experience the Primacys last very long. Itīs a Michelin caracteristic, but they sacrifice grip in a medium/long term. As i say it is my personal experience, and it is a relative experience. For now my Contis are at near 1000 km, and they are getting to the spot . But we must remenber that the 159 is a heavy car and, weel, we like to give it the beans... , ando so there are no miracles. But like i said, i will try to get as much kmīs as possible...
In the Contiīs i used in my beloved old 156, there was a grip drop out. In all of the setīs i used. I notice that this hapens near the end of the tyre life. They become harder like warning you "..change me...!". Letīs see if these do the same. When i hit the 2000 kms mark i will post some pics and numbers.
Good revīs to u all!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider