Boot badge removal help : 159 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 2.4JTDm

And thanks Matt James!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Scottish Borders

Member car:

Brera

Glad it worked, just bought one myself and eating for it to turn up. Has to be better than the 94 alfa wanted!!
AO Member

I followed the guide from MattJames this weekend to replace both the front and rear badges (I replaced them with the Black/Silver versions you can get from ebay - I bought the matching wheel centres too)

In case anyone else finds it useful - I found the easiest way to remove the boot badge (my version has the button under the badge to pop the boot) was as follows;

1. Press the top of the button in and hold it in, and gently pry the bottom of the button out a couple of mm
2. At this point, you should be able to clearly see the distinction between the thin badge and the button underneath
3. Pry the badge up and away from the button with a blunt flat tool until enough can be grabbed with some fine nose pliers
4. Once you have the badge in the pliers, you can 'roll' the pliers around the badge, as it you were removing the lid from a sardine can (showing my age here)

Mine peeled away far more cleanly and easily then the front, and required very little cleaning before I applied the new one.

@MattJames - thanks for the info - much appreciated

----------------------------------------------

Yes, he's a Bear, he's with me and he's drinking San Miguel.

Alfa Romeo 159 Ti, 2.0 JTDM
Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3

AO Member

County: Fife
I don't think so. Carpet liner?! I've managed to loosen the large plastic housing however the '08 159 SW has two internal plastic connectors which will not budge!
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

The badges you can order from alfa workshop are excellent.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Really easy method (well it was on my 159 - and I've done it twice)

Pierce the centre of the badge with a bradall/very thin screwdriver then use some long nose pliers to pull from the centre. It might come away in a couple of bits, but it works. Good clean out and put a thin bead of silicone around the outer edge of the back of new one. Hey presto - should take less than 10 mins.

Don't substitute the silicone for adhesive (no more nails etc) or you'll struggle to get it off in a few years when it's faded again!
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159sw

Just replaced both badges on my Alfa as the old ones were horribly faded as you can see.
5min job with a heatgun, cloth, alcohol and new 6 for 2 badges from eBay. Well worth it!
Thank you :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imageedit_1_8319132901.jpg (64.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg imageedit_3_9354971650.jpg (54.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg imageedit_7_8067708373.jpg (197.5 KB, 38 views)
theredstar and Phanatic like this.

County: -

Member car:

159 QV 2.2 JTS

ahhh.... HEAT GUN!!!!
if only I found this thread earlier. lol

Had a tough time with the front badge, resulting in minor imperfections on the chromed bits.

And an even tougher one with the rear... as apparent with my choice of action.(and even more imperfections...) lol

pray the new badges last!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 2-11-15, 4 49 50 PM.jpg (76.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 2-11-15, 5 06 22 PM.jpg (75.1 KB, 31 views)
AO Member

County: England
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidswan View Post
I followed the guide from MattJames this weekend to replace both the front and rear badges (I replaced them with the Black/Silver versions you can get from ebay - I bought the matching wheel centres too)

In case anyone else finds it useful - I found the easiest way to remove the boot badge (my version has the button under the badge to pop the boot) was as follows;

1. Press the top of the button in and hold it in, and gently pry the bottom of the button out a couple of mm
2. At this point, you should be able to clearly see the distinction between the thin badge and the button underneath
3. Pry the badge up and away from the button with a blunt flat tool until enough can be grabbed with some fine nose pliers
4. Once you have the badge in the pliers, you can 'roll' the pliers around the badge, as it you were removing the lid from a sardine can (showing my age here)

Mine peeled away far more cleanly and easily then the front, and required very little cleaning before I applied the new one.

@MattJames - thanks for the info - much appreciated
Be very, very careful when attempting any of the above when your car has a push button boot release. It can be done as described above, but you must hold the button pushed in while pulling in the opposite direction. Under the emblem is a black plastic domed shaped piece, this has five clips that push into the back of the chrome bezel with a spring between them. If you apply to much pressure you can break the clips you will need a complete new button (ask me how I know)

If you need any further detail feel free to ask.

Link to my website http://darranna.jigsy.com/ Last Updated 15/05/2016
AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

I really wish I'd read this before I attempted this fix.

I bought a badge, which I believed was usable front and back from Amazon
Anyway, after dismantling the button, I realised that the badget I'd bought would have to be fettled pretty extensively to fit. It never fit flush, and was only really held on by the remaining quite flimsy plastic lugs, and fell off at some point on Saturday. Chalk it up to experience.

I've subsequently had to buy the push-button kind like this one
I'm waiting for it to arrive now, my 159 looks less itself with a naked tailgate button.

Once I had the correct badge, it was a 5-minute job. Don't be like me, order the right one.

Last edited by casesensitive; 18-11-16 at 10:55.
AO Member

County: Overijssel
To engage / retrofit the push button on the boot, you have to wire the button up to the front button on the ceiling. The light green wire is the one who engages the rear boot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , badge , bbot , boot , removal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page