Brera First Impressions :-) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Thumbs Up Brera First Impressions :-)

Well after around 3 years or dithering and procrastinating and reading probably every review on the internet both negative and positive and watching all of those clips on Youtube, I have gone with my heart and finally got myself a Brera (black 2.4 diesel on a 56 plate). Sightly odd as I was intending on getting a Red 2.2 petrol but after reading absolutely tons of brilliant and informative information on his forum I decided to go with a diesel. I may consider the DPF removal etc at sme point in the future but currently undecided as cars seems to be running fine.

I bought from a small independent and knew as soon as I saw it I was going to buy. Only 36k on the clock full service history and the interior almost looks brand new - a credit to the previous owner. I checked to make sure everything was working fine before buying and it was, only downside I forgot to check for the locking wheel nut key - which unfortunately was missing. The garage said it was in the car but it wasn't so was looking like I would need to get the nuts removed by a garage, until I found more helpful info on this forum about a company called EVO Auto?? (Can dig out the name if ayone needs it)I emailed them a photo of my wheel nut and they were able to identify it and give me the code. Ordered on a Monday and received on Wednesday - excellent service only cost me £13 so well happy - Although not so impressed with the garage who didn't want to know.

No need to say much more than Brilliant and Beautiful! A superb design that seems to make most cars look bland and boring. The car I have been after is finally sitting on my drive outside my house (mainly because it doesn't fit in my garage but hey ho) Absolutely love the design of this car, looks different to all other cars on the road (apart from the 159 at the front of course - but I like those too.) I haven't seen one other Brera in the two weeks that have been driving it so makes me feel like I'm not following the crowd with all the common boring looking cars.

Previously had a 2.5 se BMW Z4 (Sorry!) which enoyed driving but it reall didn't suit my driving style which is a bit more sedate now I am 4 I realise they are different cars but the Z was skittish and bounced around on the poor road where I live whereas the Brera is heavy and feels well planted, nice and smooth drive, although obviously not quite as quick. runs well on the 18" Pirellis although the front two are going to need replacing soon.

I'm never sure why people slate a car like the Brera for being impractical. A coupe is more but style, it's not really for a family of four. The boot is a fair size, the back seats are pretty useless but I don't care. I don't have kids so just the two of us - me and the GF not me and the car!
Some restricted visibility but the large wing mirrors help and its certainly no worse than other coupes I have previously owned like a MK1 TT.

Classy and individual. Feels really well put together I have no rattles and squeaks (had plenty in the Z) The seats are comfortable and I am 6ft tall and have no issues with head room. There is at least 1.5-2" above my head (have the SV aswell) I must sit down a lot lower in my cars than some people? My interior is still in excellent condition even though its nearly a 6 year old car, hardly any wear and tear at all.

Well only had it two weeks and not done many miles yet, but everything so fine has been great. Long may it continue.

I'm aware that the 2.4 diesel is far from an economic engine (compared to many other diesels) but this was not a major concern as I am a relatively lowe mileage driver (I know, some will say I should have bought the 2.2 or maybe the 3.2. But the diesel has performance, lower tax and better fuel economy than the other two so this was just another deciding factor not the whole reason for the diesel.

Very happy with my first ever Alfa. I've had all the usual anti Alfa comments and sniggers mostly from people who have never had one and I really want this car to be a good one to show them they are wrong. I'm not very mechanical so hopefully it will be kind. If I had wanted practical I would have gone for the 159 but that wasn't my first priority - having a Brera was! It looks superb and individual, drives well, a great cruiser - not a sports car. Yes its heavy in the front end, but I like that. The interior is a great place to be, love the Italian wording on the gauges, leather seats are supportive and comfortable and I managed to find a good driving position almost immediately. I know the German cars are reliable (my Z certainly was) but most of them just have no really design flair that makes me turn my head when I park it or if one drives past.

BTW Absolutely brilliant forum everyone, an amazing source of useful information, most of which I am hoping I won't need to call on :-)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Welcome to AO and congratulations

Lucky you that you bought so lovely car like Brera.

Post some pics of her.

AO Member
Enjoy - funny I dont see many other Breras but I have seen 2 others today and my office is only 2.5 miles from my house.

ps out of interest is your aluminium trim unmarked - thats the only thing that lets mine down, looks like new other than the silver trim - its driving me crackers :-)
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 17-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Typical! Just after saying I've not seen another Just returned from cinema and there was an identical black one parked up. GF wouldn't let me get a closer look though as she said "its just the same as yours" - aaargh!
My dashboard trim is pretty much unmarked, has a leather fob on keys, apparently its dangling keys that have caused scratches on a few. Only scratched trim I have is the 'kick plates?' on the door sills.
Also got to see the dash all lit up at night, looks real good driving along :-D

Last edited by Brera infine; 18-08-12 at 20:32. Reason: please remove thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , impressions