Any ideas?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

159 1.9JTDm Ti

Any ideas??

Hi Guys,

I've had my 159 for a year now and love it!!! It's so much better than the bland Audi or BMWs about.

I have a little concern with it tho. After a recent holiday I noticed the car pulled strangely under half acceleration between 1750-2750rpm. The turbo gauge would climb as you'd expect under acceleration but would quickly drop off. During this time the car is very hesitant. Although if you push on it feels and pulls ok.

Has anyone else ever experienced what I've described and know what the cause was?? I'd be grateful for any advice or help.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Aquitaine
This is normal, it is part of the anti-pollution system on the car cleaning itself out.

In your exhaust you have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which filters outs the black nasty from the exhaust smoke, when its full the system goes into regeneration mode and heats this filter up to 600C to burn off the soot. During this time the car has less power and can even be a little 'lurchy' pulling out of junctions.

There is a second part to the anto-pollution system called an EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) which reuses some exhaust gas to get more pollutants out of it.

Both of these are problematic parts. The DPF can clog if you don't do enough 'long' trips and it can't regen often enough. The EGR is even worse and will eventually coke up with carbon.
To ensure the DPF doesnt clog up completely you need to do a good drive approx once a month minimum. THe EGR in my humble opinion is so bad that it's almost a consumable part but, it can be cleaned (thread on that in this section of forum) and it's only 110 for the part to replace it yourself (which is easy).

Back on the subject of regens, they happen on average every 200miles approx and last for about 10mins approx.

Hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider