Alfa Spider Roof issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

Alfa Spider Roof issue

Good Morning guys,

I've recently become the owner of an 2.2 JTS Alfa Spider, 2008. I've been looking for one for a long time and am on the whole dead chuffed with it!

I seem to have an issue with the roof though, I've searched the forums for information but couldn't find anything specific... but i apologise if i'm repeating something thats been discussed over and over.

When I put the roof down with the engine off it goes down perfectly with no issues, but when I do it with the engine running it goes down fine but comes up on the screen saying "Temporary Hood Failure". It doesn't stop on the way down or get stuck, and takes about the right amount of time (just short of 30 seconds) and when i get out and have a look round it is definitely fully open, the deck is down properly and everything. When you pull away it just says "Opening Cycle not Complete". There appears to be no difference to when I do it with the engine off.

There are no problems putting it back up the other way, which is good because obviously the main thing i'm frightened of is it getting stuck down!

I knew when I went to buy it that I was unlikely to buy an Alfa with no issues, but i'm really frustrated by this as the main piece of advice I was given was "DO NOT buy one with a dodgy roof". We tested it to death before agreeing a deal.. probably knackered it out doing that I imagine.

Anyway I guess my question is has anyone experienced anything similar to this, and if so what was the resolution... Also, perhaps if I get myself a code reader from somewhere will the roof store the error, or is that more for engine issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have, I've been reading the forum for ages but had hoped I would be more than 2 weeks into owning an Alfa before having to ask for technical advice!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Alessandria
I bought FiatECUscan to look at my Spider codes and the latest version is compatible with the top (hood) of the Spider. The name of the software has changed, so look at Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars (Powered by FiatECUScan) for further information. It's well worth the price and the first time something goes wrong with your Alfa, Fiat, or similar car, there is the potential to save much more than the cost of the software.

I tested it briefly and it reports the status of my top, but since my Alfa happens to be working OK (at the moment) I don't know exactly what kind of codes it will read and/or display.

I can't help with your particular problem and I don't know if it would trap the code associated with your hood problem, but I suspect it might.

I can say that the top is the most complicated piece on the car. It's loaded with electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic components all of which are just waiting to fail, especially if the top is down and it's raining. I imagine there is a limit switch or a proximity switch which is slightly out of adjustment, but where those switches are and how to adjust them is a mystery not only to me but to my Alfa dealer too.

I live in Italy where the Alfa Spider is quite rare. I see as many Ferraris and Maseratis as I do Spiders. I have not yet met a mechanic who knows more about the top than I do and I know nearly nothing.
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire
I'm sure I read in the handbook never to operate the hood without the car running? I never have and so far no problems - hopefully not tempting fate here
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 14-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

You are right it does say not to operate it with the engine off because of the drain on the battery, so I'll stop doing that. The problem happened before I'd tested it without the engine running so I don't think that has caused the problem.

I've booked it in somewhere to be looked at, as mentioned before the roof appears to be operating without any problems, if it didn't come up with the warning you would never know there was a problem. On that basis I'm hoping it's something small like a sensor maybe... have no idea how it works though so I'm just going to have to put my trust in the garage.

It's also developed a random problem with the driver side electric window, it just seems a bit confused, sometimes when you press up it goes down and vice versa.. sometimes it takes a few presses before it starts moving. A quick search of the forum tells me its probably the controller box in the door so the garage is going to look at that for me too.

I'll report back on what happens with the roof at the weekend if anyone is interested.
AO Member
County: Greater London
It might not sort the problem but it is alway worth 'reseting' the computer by discounting the battery for a minute or two and then trying again. It has a quick release on the terminal to make it easy. I know that a low battery gives all sorts of errors, so a full charge before you reconnect could save some heart ache.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
I have a 2.2 aswell sometimes I take my finger off the button a fraction of a second too early without realising drive off and it has the same. I just have to press the button again for a
Couple secs and it sorts itself out. Hopefully you don't have a proper problem! I only
Got it on weds and I'm over the moon with it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alfa , issue , roof , spider