How To: 2.4 JTDm throttle body & EGR clean-out - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post

This what your looking for? Don't know if any local garages do it near you, but you can always phone around.
Just did this with my 2,4 2009. Better start (not Perfect, but Close to), Nice idle and better performance all over RPMs.
Price in Norway 5000,- NOK including oil and filter.
Sponsored Links
County: Durham
So I took the plunge and took on the throttle body challenge. I'll be cleaning black gunk out of my skin for weeks.

I took the battery out both for more room and because I'm chicken, plus I was sure I'd drop at least 1 thing down into the abyss. I wasn't wrong.

First thing I noticed was what I thought was the remains of an old intake seal. Unfortunately this was the current intake seal.

So on with the job, and I decided to get myself a lot more space to work in by removing the battery tray. I'm very glad I did. For 1 it make the job a lot easier, and 2nd I found one of the bolts holding my gearbox to the block was loose by about 3/4 inch. Also the T piece for the coolant had no not but nevermind about that!

I made myself a small tool from a short length of 22mm copper pipe to attach to the vacuum cleaner. Seemed to work good for getting the soot out.

Very gently with a wide screwdriver, followed by a stiff brush and carb cleaner was enough to clean up the throttle body. No after photos sorry!

And finally the black hole of Calcutta.

Thanks again to Pete for the original post. The engine is obviously running better now it can hold boost without spraying it all over. The MAP was totally blocked. Cleaned it up best I could with contact cleaner.

I noticed while working over the engine that the swirl flap linking bar was popped off - so this is a task for another thread.
County: -

thank you for the thread !

i have had no power below 2000 RPM (159 SW 1,9 165.000km). i even had shut down of the motor at low temperature.
at my first attempt to clean the EGR i didnt remove the solenoid. Bad idea... worked better at start up , but still no power.

after opening the EGR it self and cleaning the solenoid (moving pin), it turned up to work fine. So good that i am even not sure i had this power before (bought second hand at 92.000km).

thx, and cheers from France !
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

159 2.4D auto

Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
Edit: Several good folk have reported back that the O-ring on the intake pipe has stretched, so it may well pay you to have a new one ready to fit. They aren't expensive and can avert a lot of hassle and creative language when refitting.
Some one sells a good one of these and will post? ebay?

I need a new one

EDIT: Got it from a Alfa Workshop

Last edited by As the day goes; 05-05-16 at 09:38.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

body , cleanout , egr , jtdm , throttle